Page 43 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Dh and I went on a ghost tour of the local university, which has a wide reputation for being haunted. A bit silly, but we picked up a lot of local history and had a good time hanging out with the college kids. It was a perfect starry night, too, not too cold.

Made the BEST tasting bean soup! It is heavy on fennel. Many people hate fennel. I dislike bland food. I suppose it is a combnation of allergies of my youth and smoking in my youth, but I do not have refined taste buds. Give me heavily flavored food any time which is why I like 3rd world cuisine so much Anyway—here are ingredients of this soup:

beans, several kinds

onions

tomatoes

flavored chicnks of beef

ALL the above from our garden but for the beef which was from two miles from DH’s family farm

Also these ingredients were purchased:

spinach (we didnt have any home grown in our freezer and it is slightly too early to harvest from cold frames

fennel

beef soup base

I could have thrown in home grown okra, But the soup seemed robust enough

the real star of this soup was the beans, I dont even know how many kinds but at least three, that were home grown.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    the real star of this soup was the beans, I dont even know how many kinds but at least three, that were home grown.
    IL, do you dry the beans yourselves? I think I've only seen fresh beans (garbanzos) a few times. I never see beans like pintos or cranberry beans or Northern beans fresh.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    IL, do you dry the beans yourselves? I think I've only seen fresh beans (garbanzos) a few times. I never see beans like pintos or cranberry beans or Northern beans fresh.
    DH shells them and puts them in containers in the cupboard but for limas, which we freeze.

These fresher beans seem to cook faster than ones from the store.

added, here are the seven kinds of dried beans he grew:

Attached Images Attached Images

I want to rave about the garage door repairman that came yesterday. He carefully inspected the system (that was not staying down). Clearly explained the reason for the problem, the solution (simple), and answered all the questions my hubby had. He also discussed the door and possible replacement (not necessary but gave us good info), fixed the missing roller, and left us feeling great about the service and knowing more about the whole garage door system.

I wish all interactions were this good.

On Tuesday I went to an antique mall and found an item for $3.50. This was after I had gone thru every booth with their hundreds of items so I was pretty invested in this piece. I had no cash and the store wouldnt take charges less than $15.

So the nice woman behnd the counter bought it for me.

wow!

of course, I will mail to her money, but wow.

IL: Love those random acts of kindness!

Williamsmith
    On Tuesday I went to an antique mall and found an item for $3.50. This was after I had gone thru every booth with their hundreds of items so I was pretty invested in this piece. I had no cash and the store wouldnt take charges less than $15.

So the nice woman behnd the counter bought it for me.

wow!

of course, I will mail to her money, but wow.

Sooooooo.......what was the item?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Sooooooo.......what was the item?
    It was a flower vase or exactly the right scale and color, and while there were others with same color and proportins in the mall, this was the cheapest. I needed one like this for a flower show in April.

DH shells them and puts them in containers in the cupboard but for limas, which we freeze.
    Thanks, IL. I've never tried drying/canning my own beans. I'm still surprised there's no "fresh bean" season given how popular they've become.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information