Page 61 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

How wonderful, Lainey!

Congratulations, Lainey!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Granddaughter No. 2 born, a little cutie with rosebud lips. That's the big finale, kid-wise, so now my son and d-in-l will have the fun of caring for 2 babies under age 2. Woo hoo!
    And you get to dote on her and her sibling. Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    A wonderful gift for the season!

Thanks for the good wishes. And as a related note, do any of you have a birthday close to Xmas, or know of someone who does?
    I'm asking because it's already on the mind of the new baby's parents how to make sure her birthday doesn't meld into Xmas or get overlooked or rushed because of it being so close to Xmas.
    First world problems, I know.
    One thing I read was a family who made it a tradition to drive around to see Christmas lights on their child's birthday and not before. So it was a special perk for birthday girl because of course her other siblings didn't have entire neighborhoods lit up during their birthdays.

My birthday is Dec. 26. My mother always made it special- changed the tablecloth to match the good china, not Christmas, cake, ice cream, a party with the neighborhood kids. 3 of my friends had Dec. birthdays and all were made special by the parent- separate from Christmas...although the one born Dec. 31 had to share it with an open house her parents always had. But she did have a separate party. One perk I had with my cousin whose birthday was near Thanksgiving...because the Aunts and Uncles were all together they would remember we had birthdays so would slip us a dollar. It didn't happen with those other cousins whose birthdays were not around the holiday. Neither one of us ever fessed up about it until we were adults.

My gdaughter has a birthday a couple of days after Christmas. I make sure to send presents separately and call her and it will get easier to separate them as she gets older. It works out well for her because everyone is in a holiday mood and she gets more attention in a way than the ones who have more regular birthdays because everyone is kindof overcompensating, if that makes sense. It's harder with the granddaughter whose birthday comes in a big clutch of birthdays, the same week in the summer, and it's hard to make the focus on her when it's also her great grandmother and uncles' birthday weeks.

My step son birthday is the 22nd and we always made it special.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My step son birthday is the 22nd and we always made it special.
    yes. I think she is asking “how.”

Early December birthday for me and DW's daughter; an aunt of mine has a December 28 birthday. IMHO it's important to note the day as if Christmas didn't exist. Few people who wanted to give a gift to an August baby would show up with it in October and call it a combination birthday-Christmas present but I saw that surprisingly often as a kid and my birthday wasn't even as close to Christmas as some. I send my aunt a birthday card that has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. DD's rule growing up was no Christmas decorations in the house until after her birthday; I notice that rule gets broken (by her) now that she has kids). Certainly it's up to the individual. I never minded Christmas decorations in the house during my birthday; different strokes. I think the guest of honor will provide the best guidance.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information