Page 246 of 248 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2476

Thread: The Daily Rave

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    What a nice offer!
    SiouzQ went to the University of Iowa. So did I.

connections.
    I am not a serious person.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    SiouzQ went to the University of Iowa. So did I.

connections.
    Corn people LOL

Agree - what a nice offer, IL!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Garden rave--last summer I planted some tulip tree seeds because I had pruned the tree and had a bunch of seeds, and today I saw that I have about four tiny trees coming up in the 5 gallon bucket where I planted the seeds--just checked photo online and yes, that is indeed what they are. Be cool if I could get them into treedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Garden rave--last summer I planted some tulip tree seeds because I had pruned the tree and had a bunch of seeds, and today I saw that I have about four tiny trees coming up in the 5 gallon bucket where I planted the seeds--just checked photo online and yes, that is indeed what they are. Be cool if I could get them into treedom.
    That is nice that your seeds are growing. I’m not very good with seeds other than the standard annual flowers.

Is that how they propagate trees or at least tulip trees? for the lower orders of plants I deal with I’m skeptical of specimens from seed. Sometimes the offspring produced from self pollination is a phenotype like the parents. Sometimes they are entirely different. For all of my plants I much prefer propagation by cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is nice that your seeds are growing. I’m not very good with seeds other than the standard annual flowers.

Is that how they propagate trees or at least tulip trees? for the lower orders of plants I deal with I’m skeptical of specimens from seed. Sometimes the offspring produced from self pollination is a phenotype like the parents. Sometimes they are entirely different. For all of my plants I much prefer propagation by cloning.

Yes, you are right about cuttings being the norm, and I did some of those, too, but I could not resist the seeds. And I don't think my cuttings made it, although it's too early to tell.

I do the same with apple trees, even though I know that each seed will grow a tree that is different than the parent. I think it was hearing about Johnny Appleseed as a kid! I have grown several little guys from seeds we gather when we are driving around in the fall--I have trees from Michigan and Maine, labeled by the individual tree. It's just a hobby I like, and I like to think about the different trees--we look for old abandoned trees, old trees on old farms, etc. We gather the apples, save the seeds, and eat a lot of apple pie in the fall.

Tybee: That is a wonderful hobby!

So exciting, Tybee!!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Seed starting is a passion of mine. I have been growing peach trees but haven't a clue where to put them all. And various oak trees. And...

Time for some iris rave!

look at this big, dark, white edged iris called ‘ Dark Universe’. I lost it in the chaos of our move and a weed infestation a couple of years ago, but got it back and now it’s thriving. It is a Wow factor iris.

IMG_4569.jpgIMG_4570.jpg

Thread Information