Page 50 of 244 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

IL, yes in general I love trees unless they are making too big of a mess for me to clean up.

Williamsmith
    Some urban residents were loving their cute deer population until they realized it came with a cute deer tick infestation and an ornamental shrubs disappearing program. Suddenly, there was an interest in allowing archery hunters to “harvest” some for “management” reasons. It was a little strange to be in tree stands within no more than fifty yards of houses but he hunter success rate was near 100%. And nobody complained.

Yesterday, in Hermann, I saw a giant swallowtail butterfly. It was huge! I saw through the window and I wasn’t wearing my glasses, and at first I wasn’t sure what it was because it was fluttering in an odd way. For a moment I thought it might be a small bird. Then I ran to get my glasses and looked at it carefully and it was a big big butterfly.

Later, on the Internet, I saw the video footage of giant swallowtail laying eggs and that’s what this one was doing, so that explained the somewhat odd movement.

Cool, IL.

Today I am grateful for all of the wits on internet forums I frequent. Here LDahl is brilliant and Alan makes me laugh.

There is this guy Fredbear on the MMM site, another wordsmith, who I just discovered. Mazel ToffCocktail on a a snark site is so damned funny.

A long time ago I figured out that an important role in life for me was as audience. I am a reader, not a writer. i am the audience. Play to me, I will laugh!

IL: they amuse me also)

We had a very positive experience with a neighbor. Our 20’ brick wall was destroyed when one of their contractors ran into it with a dumpster. The neighbor worked with the contractor, putting pressure to fix it. Contractor tried to wiggle a better deal with a wood fence, much cheaper, but our neighbor held firm that no, it must be rebuilt to the standard it had been.

The wall was rebuilt in about three weeks, start to finish of this problem. Yay! Usually these things dont go that well.

We are in Pittsburgh of all places and have found the most wonderful architectural gems. The enormous stained glass windows in the Heinz Chapel that represent world civilization and are 50% women in history are unique. The Cathedral for Learning and its Nationality classrooms are also special. I never thought I would say that I have to come back to Pittsburgh.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We are in Pittsburgh of all places and have found the most wonderful architectural gems. The enormous stained glass windows in the Heinz Chapel that represent world civilization and are 50% women in history are unique. The Cathedral for Learning and its Nationality classrooms are also special. I never thought I would say that I have to come back to Pittsburgh.
    I grew up not far from Pittsburgh. You can read about what my childhood was like in a book by Paul Hertneky called “Rust Belt Boy: Stories of an American Childhood”. My wife grew up in the city of Pittsburgh, her father was a one handed union electrician who worked in almost every one of the downtown buildings. My father worked in a steel mill along the Ohio River. I am proud of my city has become. It came a long way from the dirty, smog working town to a gem of a place to live. I live up in the mountains now but I visit Pittsburgh often and it is a homecoming for me each time. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Today I am grateful for all of the wits on internet forums I frequent. Here LDahl is brilliant and Alan makes me laugh.

There is this guy Fredbear on the MMM site, another wordsmith, who I just discovered. Mazel ToffCocktail on a a snark site is so damned funny.

A long time ago I figured out that an important role in life for me was as audience. I am a reader, not a writer. i am the audience. Play to me, I will laugh!
    I second your thoughts on Alan and LDAHL. I respect their ability to get their point across in a concise manner often with the kind of wit Mark Twain or political satirists use. I often feel outmatched and an underdog......which I enjoy.

Thread Information