Page 75 of 243 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Catherine, what a wonderful day, and how great that you made it happen.
    That is a memory of a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Oh, Cath, that sounds so delightful. I was part of a 10 day tour of Japan and never thought about the idea of finding my way around using a phone and GPS. When has that been available?
    I used the GPSmycity for information on the things I was interested in, but I actually used the regular map on my phone to get me to/from the destination/hotel. The regular iPhone map is great for directing you on foot, although sometimes it takes a few seconds to catch up with where you are and where you're going. I felt very comfortable with it.

Today I moved hotels from Chiyoda, which is more of a business district, to Shinjuku, which is more touristy (for the weekend). Hoping to get to more gardens and also a couple of shrines.

I'll go back to Chiyoda for Monday and Tuesday's interviews, and hoping to put in a couple of hours in the National Museum of Modern Art. I'm particularly interested in an exhibit they have on windows, which looks absolutely fascinating!

Windows are all too familiar to everyone. They let light and wind in the room while protecting us from coldness and heat. Through them we can have a fresh view of the outside world while indoors.

This exhibition, organized jointly with the Window Research Institute that advocate “windowology,” focuses on windows from various viewpoints. In addition to Henri Matisse’s paintings and cutting-edge contemporary art, the contents will include non-art topics such as the global history of windows. The galleries will showcase cross-genre exhibits including scenes by window loved and painted by artists, and useful tips about windows.

We hope we can offer an experience that enables you to see familiar windows differently after you leave the galleries.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I got lost on a walk after shopping with some others who afterwards went back to the hotel. I had a terrible time finding my way back. No one spoke English, I couldn't read the signs and felt really strange.
    DW#1 and I visited Tokyo maybe 30 years ago (so no GPS and not even my current very rudimentary knowledge of Japanese) and managed to get lost walking late at night. Before we left, someone had advised us to carry around a piece of paper with the name of our hotel/ryokan on it (for just such emergencies) so, after some fruitless walking around, we presented ourselves and our piece of paper at another hotel we had walked past. The clerk looked at the name, puzzled a little, and ended up calling our hotel to find out where they were -- pretty much right around the corner from where we were at that moment. Apparently not having one's bearings happens to locals, too. :-)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

DD2 was telling me last night that on a recent bus tour to Europe, the tour director actually gave them access to phone maps to find and follow their interests on their own. They were really pleased with it. Sounds as though this is the new way of travelling around the world. I think that this is truly wonderful and exciting. I'll have to try it next time I head to Toronto for a couple of days.
    Add this development to the reasons for celebrating the advances and benefits in today's Technology.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Had to share my day. All around my area are reports of snow falling or threatened. It is cold and breezy. My wonderful contractor came and installed the chain link fence and it looks wonderful. The posts had been cemented in a couple of weeks ago. My little dog now has a safe roaming area.

Earlier this week, someone had mentioned to me how she had gone for a long drive for a coffee. My first reaction was surprise at her traveling so far for a coffee and then realization of how much of rut I am in. After the fence contractor left, the sun came out so I took my little dog for a drive in the sunshine. We went to an area with a well-maintained public trail that runs along a series of deep large ponds. It was so amazing to hear the waves lapping against the shore and amble along in bright sunshine for an hour on December 6th. Usually it is all frozen over or snowy. Complete escape from my normal routine and wonderful to do. Now I can finish my Christmas cards,(the few that I still send as most have been replaced with ecards) and bring up the Christmas inside decorations.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Razz, yes! I find myself in a rut even tho our rut now extends to two different towns. I am energized by just taking a different path or purposely driving 20-30 minutes someplace new. And yes, our cool,weather has been sunny as well, a good time to do it.

Had to share my day. All around my area are reports of snow falling or threatened. It is cold and breezy. My wonderful contractor came and installed the chain link fence and it looks wonderful. The posts had been cemented in a couple of weeks ago. My little dog now has a safe roaming area.

Earlier this week, someone had mentioned to me how she had gone for a long drive for a coffee. My first reaction was surprise at her traveling so far for a coffee and then realization of how much of rut I am in. After the fence contractor left, the sun came out so I took my little dog for a drive in the sunshine. We went to an area with a well-maintained public trail that runs along a series of deep large ponds. It was so amazing to hear the waves lapping against the shore and amble along in bright sunshine for an hour on December 6th. Usually it is all frozen over or snowy. Complete escape from my normal routine and wonderful to do. Now I can finish my Christmas cards,(the few that I still send as most have been replaced with ecards) and bring up the Christmas inside decorations.
    So nice to venture out! Especially in the winter the temptation is to stay in. We are right on the lake, as you know, and the sunsets are always amazing. One morning I looked at the local newspaper FB page, and they had posted pictures of the unusually beautiful sunset from the night before. I was in my house the whole day and never saw it. I felt it was such a missed opportunity. Glad you had a great day--and the fence sounds awesome! If DH would consent to a fence, I would consider getting another dog, but without a fence, I'm just not up for the full responsibility of walking it 2-3 times a day in all kinds of weather.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, our small dogs are trained to potty pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, our small dogs are trained to potty pads.
    Yes, the little dog I walk is also pad trained.

DW and I visited our financial advisor today and crunched some numbers. DW will be retiring on or around May 29 of next year. Both of us feel like a weight has been lifted.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information