Page 171 of 244 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2436

Thread: The Daily Rave

Here’s one of the little projects DH is working on today: he’s rebuilding our old Victorian dining room table.

He is doing that in downtime while he’s waiting for stuff in the bathroom to either dry or to get supplies coming in.

Normally I wouldn’t mess with rebuilding an old piece of furniture, but I have a peculiar attachment to this dining room table which may be as early as 1860s. It’s a nice round shape but it also extends into a long oval to seat 8 or 10.
    Here the table is today upside down with four of five legs in place and nearly ready to flip over to use as a table.

4A6BD9ED-60F8-4CD8-9C13-F70CF7D3A5F8.jpg

Iris Lilies Bravo to DH for doing the fix of the table. We had someone do ours-not really as old as yours-1920 or so. I love reading and seeing your progress in both homes!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Iris Lilies Bravo to DH for doing the fix of the table. We had someone do ours-not really as old as yours-1920 or so. I love reading and seeing your progress in both homes!
    thank you. This table has been limping along for several years because one of the wheels fell off after we bought it and DH made a temporary fix for it. But now he’s doing a thorough fix so it can live into the next generation of owners beyond us.

I like this table because it is low, and it reminds me of the tiny people it was built for. People 150 years ago were smaller. It also is a wood that we can’t quite identify but it’s likely chestnut, and from what I understand Chestnut was a popular wood for furniture in the southern states 1860s to 1890s.

I echo nswef... so nice to bring a beautiful old table into modern day functionality! Someday I may be motivated to bring my twin tiger maple headboards/footboards to Connecticut where they actually conjoin the twins to make a queen. It would be an inconvenient, expensive project, but I feel that the end product would be worth it. It's beautiful wood and the beds have sentimental value. Maybe I could pay your DH to fly to the Northeast to do that for me? .
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I echo nswef... so nice to bring a beautiful old table into modern day functionality! Someday I may be motivated to bring my twin tiger maple headboards/footboards to Connecticut where they actually conjoin the twins to make a queen. It would be an inconvenient, expensive project, but I feel that the end product would be worth it. It's beautiful wood and the beds have sentimental value. Maybe I could pay your DH to fly to the Northeast to do that for me? .
    haha no! But you’re in a part of the country where you can find people who can do stuff so you might not have to take them all the way to Connecticut. That’s an interesting concept (putting twin headboards together) , there are many nice twin beds going for a song because people don’t like twin beds anymore. I don’t really want a queen size bed myself, but that does put an idea in my head as I am bed shopping now, and I want something vintage or antique most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    haha no! But you’re in a part of the country where you can find people who can do stuff so you might not have to take them all the way to Connecticut. That’s an interesting concept (putting twin headboards together) , there are many nice twin beds going for a song because people don’t like twin beds anymore. I don’t really want a queen size bed myself, but that does put an idea in my head as I am bed shopping now, and I want something vintage or antique most likely.
    Contrary as always, I finally realized that I should have had a single bed all along. Sometimes, I'm kind of slow on the uptake.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Contrary as always, I finally realized that I should have had a single bed all along. Sometimes, I'm kind of slow on the uptake.
    I have a single bed ar my condo because tiny bedroom ‘tho a full size would fit. The sofa a ts as a second bed.

I was thrilled to get that antique bed, and then recently pick up two more vintage twin beds super cheap for our guestroom.

I predict twin beds will make a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I predict twin beds will make a comeback.
    When I was an account manager traveling a lot for research, I assigned project manager to go with me to Stockholm. When we booked rooms at a really nice hotel there, she was appalled that she would be sleeping in a twin bed. I told her that twin beds are common in European city hotels, but she tried in vain to find a place with a queen bed.

I truly don't understand how our expectations for comfort have gone so far afield. Suffering=twin beds and sharing a bathroom with a spouse. Wow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Your dh has been very product, IL! I really can't wait to see the top of the table, as I love the look of the underneath.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information