Page 74 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

I do love the Internet for figuring out how to fix things. Just figured out how to reset our tv after it went out during power surge, and we can watch the hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I do love the Internet for figuring out how to fix things. Just figured out how to reset our tv after it went out during power surge, and we can watch the hearings.
    Yes, and when you can't find the manual you stuck somewhere 10 years ago when you first bought an appliance--if you can find a model number, you can find a manual in a fraction of the time it takes to try to figure out where that manual is!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This could’ve started out as a rant but it ended up a rave !

Today at the grocery store the checkout guy was taking forever . I couldn’t see exactly what was going on because DH was checking out and I was mostly in the floral department looking around . anyway , this was easily a ten minute to fifteen minute wait for one customer . the checkout guy kept writing something down and then he would talk to the customer and then they would fiddle around with something and then he would write something down and anyway he finally got her checked out and on her way .

DH reported later what was happening. The customer had a coupon of some sort, either WIC or food stamps, not that it matters for you SJW types I know, and she was buying a bag of grapes.Her coupon did not cover all the grapes in her bag. The checker kept removing a grape or two and trying to get the cost down to the amount of her coupon. Finally he reached into his own pocket and paid the difference for her.

He’s a young guy we haven’t seen before, and he is really a nice guy, and this is a good grocery store. So nice story

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Today at the grocery store the checkout guy was taking forever . I couldn’t see exactly what was going on because DH was checking out and I was mostly in the floral department looking around . anyway , this was easily a ten minute to fifteen minute wait for one customer . the checkout guy kept writing something down and then he would talk to the customer and then they would fiddle around with something and then he would write something down and anyway he finally got her checked out and on her way .

DH reported later what was happening. The customer had a coupon of some sort, either WIC or food stamps, not that it matters for you SJW types I know, and she was buying a bag of grapes.Her coupon did not cover all the grapes in her bag. The checker kept removing a grape or two and trying to get the cost down to the amount of her coupon. Finally he reached into his own pocket and paid the difference for her.

He’s a young guy we haven’t seen before, and he is really a nice guy, and this is a good grocery store. So nice story
    Wow. Great story.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I love hearing stories like this. Nice people rock!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

What a great guy!

Went downtown yesterday to see a movie and the parking garage was permit only, which changed our plans. We parked on the street and went shopping-- just went to two local bookstores and had nice conversations and I bought a great bumper sticker. The snow was light and there was no ice and it was so fun to just wander around without an agenda--husband is on vacation from work this month, so it was like retirement living, no pressure. We live in a tourist area, so it's fun to go places in the winter where there is no one around, and you have all the scenery at a lovely, pace, and you can talk to people and there are no crowds and no rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Went downtown yesterday to see a movie and the parking garage was permit only, which changed our plans. We parked on the street and went shopping-- just went to two local bookstores and had nice conversations and I bought a great bumper sticker. The snow was light and there was no ice and it was so fun to just wander around without an agenda--husband is on vacation from work this month, so it was like retirement living, no pressure. We live in a tourist area, so it's fun to go places in the winter where there is no one around, and you have all the scenery at a lovely, pace, and you can talk to people and there are no crowds and no rushing.
    Sounds wonderful, Tybee! I LOVE those kinds of simple meandering days, especially in a pretty town.

Along those lines, while not in a small local town, my rave was about my walk yesterday, too! I've been in Tokyo since Tuesday and have been on the fence about sightseeing choices. I have to work in-between this week, so my time is limited and tours are usually at least 3-4 hours.

Yesterday was picture perfect, and I was sitting in my hotel room working on a report and said to myself, screw this! I have to find some thing to do! I grew more and more frustrated looking for just the right tour/event, but couldn't find anything. I finally found an app called GPSmywalk, which is a self-guiding app through any major city. Since I'm in the same "prefecture" as the Imperial Palace, I thought that would make a nice destination walk, however it was too late to get into the Palace itself

So I figured, I'd just walk to the gardens around the Palace. It's a 1.5 mile walk--and then I knew I'd walk around inside and then have to get back for interviews at 4pm. My thinking was, I may get tired, but I'll just take a taxi back to the hotel if I have to.

What a great walk! Walking is my favorite way to see a city, so I walked through this business section of Tokyo. It was so much fun even just getting to the Imperial Palace. I passed a whole block or more of snowboard/sports shops! I've never seen so many snowboards in one spot! The route took me along major roads, and side roads, restaurants, office buildings, bridges.

When I got to the grounds of the Palace and entered into the East Gardens, I was amazed at how lush it was in December. Not many flowers obviously (although a few hardy ones left) but the landscape design of that place was amazing!! Just what I had hoped to see, being such a lover of Japanese gardens after going to the one at Portland. So much thought into pathways, and color and form.

Well, being in the garden actually energized me, so I walked the return, too, along a different way back.

And I was back in time to take a nap before my evening interviews! Perfect day.

Catherine: That sounds delightful! I think if I went to Japan I would spend a lot of time eating.

Oh, Cath, that sounds so delightful. I was part of a 10 day tour of Japan and never thought about the idea of finding my way around using a phone and GPS. When has that been available?

I got lost on a walk after shopping with some others who afterwards went back to the hotel. I had a terrible time finding my way back. No one spoke English, I couldn't read the signs and felt really strange. Finally a young couple from Hong Kong rescued me and took me back to my hotel. Ever since, if I see anyone hesitating and looking lost, I strike up a conversation to see if help is needed.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information