Page 38 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Fresh beans! OMG! Beans grown from our garden, really really good! Dh has several varieities in our gardens. He sits on the sofa in these hot afternoons and shells them.

edited to say: by "fresh" i mean shelled beans, like black eyed beans, a few red beans, some kind of roundish been.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-23-17 at 2:58pm.

Yppej
    Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Fresh beans!
    Funny how, even at the farmer's markets, I rarely see fresh beans beyond soybeans (edamame) or garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas). Even bean sprouts aren't hard to find. But fresh non-canned/dried beans? Not so much. I wonder why that is. Are they particularly fragile or short-lived when fresh?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Funny how, even at the farmer's markets, I rarely see fresh beans beyond soybeans (edamame) or garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas). Even bean sprouts aren't hard to find. But fresh non-canned/dried beans? Not so much. I wonder why that is. Are they particularly fragile or short-lived when fresh?
    I wonder if it is something my neighbor said, which might be a reason. He was having back issues and the green beans in the garden were ready to be picked. The amount grown, verses the cost at the grocery store, didn't warrant a trip to the chiropractor and those costs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    No actually, they dry nicely and last a long time, but I prefer to cook them when freshly picked. But we will be drying some because they are too much to eat all at once.

I wonder if there is lack of fresh beans because people will not shell them. You have to spend a fair amount of time preparing a cup of uncooked beans.

Same with pitting cherries, that takes time.i do not know where to buy fresh sour cherries other than at the UPick places.

I don't know if other areas have something similar, but we have had an unusually large Painted Lady butterfly migration. They are a common butterfly that looks a little like a Monarch. I have been near fields of blooming Rabbit Brush where there were probably thousands or maybe even tens of thousands. The local news had a feature on an unidentified blob on the weather radar that turned out to be migrating Painted Ladies. Apparently they move north from Mexico in the summer and lay eggs which hatch and develop into butterflies to return south before winter. Conditions were right for a bumper crop this year. I've had a hundred or more in my garden many days in the last couple of weeks.

Butterflies are a nice thing to have around.

Here's a rave: I just noticed ILs new avatar! Love it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I had fantastic customer service from a company that provides digital information for a craft I do. I asked a question and the company owner called me. During the call, she gave me some good info on which file to use since it would be easier to work with than the one I ordered. They accidentally sent the wrong file which I uploaded. When I let them know, they replaced it immediately without fuss and without additional payment. Could not have been easier.

As a result, I am a happy customer and let a huge group on I belong to on Facebook know. Great free good advertising for her due to the personal, informative, and quick service.

Hooray for bulk trash pickup. City provides free curbside pickup of bulk trash items every quarter, and most homeowners use it as an opportunity to clear out landscape and misc. debris. Easy peasy.

It's time again for the annual madrona berry fly-in, wherein birds come to my yard from hither and yon and get drunk on fermented fruit. This year it seems to be mostly robins; one year it was a huge flock of waxwings, and there are always the lone stragglers. They swoop back and forth and into the side of the house and the windows for a few hours before (figuratively) staggering off to sober up. Proof that the impulse toward intoxication is universal.

Thread Information