Page 117 of 248 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2476

Thread: The Daily Rave

Thank you, guys, your support means a lot to me!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Tybee, I'm so glad she is in a stable, well-staffed place with the best care, and that she is adapting well!! It must be such a load off your mind!

The discussions here lately around the difficulty of dealing with parents with dementia made me want to read the book Still Alice. I saw the movie, but from what I understand, the book (which is usually better than the movie anyway) is written from the Alice's POV. Hard to accomplish that in a movie, but apparently the author has a degree in neuroscience and she interviewed tons of patients to get their perspective on the journey. She also distinguishes between "sympathy" and "empathy" and that her book is really focused on empathy--being "with" the person on their journey.

I've been trying delayed gratification with my one-click Amazon trigger finger, but it's been 3 days now since I've had the urge to get the kindle version. I may go ahead with it, after I check my local library.
    Lisa Genova is an amazing author and I highly recommend anything by her. She tells a great story, but you also learn something and get to be grateful for not having a hideous neurological disease.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Lisa Genova is an amazing author and I highly recommend anything by her. She tells a great story, but you also learn something and get to be grateful for not having a hideous neurological disease.
    As it turns out my little library had a copy! rosa, I started it yesterday at 4pm, and I've been reading non-stop. You're right--she is a wonderful storyteller.

When I went to this library for the first time yesterday, I tried to remember when I last went to a library, and I think it was basically to donate books during The Purge. It felt SO GOOD to meander the stacks and chat with the librarian. I get the feeling that I might be lucky finding good reads in this little jewel box of a library based on my interaction with her. I also forgot the value of a good librarian. Here are a couple of pictures: one of the library and the other a still life of how I spent my afternoon yesterday, a day in a slow week work-wise. Heaven!

(oops--sideways!)

IMG_2374.jpgIMG_0732.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nice! Note to self, revisit the library here.

That is a cute little library--and if their collection is small, there are always interlibrary loans.

There's little as precious in life as a good library. I haven't visited mine in awhile, but KCLS keeps me in books anyway.

I saw the film Still Alice and liked it enough to read the book.it was good.

Librarians in a small library have made my life wonderful as DH and I were transferred with his work. Each shared tidbits of needed info about the community and where I/we might fit in, the books on hand to satisfy my particular curiosity at the time and became treasured friends. One, in particular, was very gently, wisely, non-judgemental but firm, a pillar in that community for decades. The automated checking out process is not a good alternative for newcomers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Such a cute little library! I love a good library, but haven't been in ours for... a long, long time. Need to change that.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Your library is adorable! Is is part of a library lending network? Most of the books I get through my library are actually from other libraries in the area, which expands my options considerably. We are still limited to curbside pickup in my town, and I am somewhat disappointed in them at this point. It seems like everyone else has found a way to do business despite Covid except for my library and town hall. I realize I'm kind of veering into rant territory on the rave thread - sorry!
    Jeppy: are you able to go inside of your library yet?

Our library system has been open through mich of the pandemic (closed completely in the early days of it) but mask requirements and limits of time you could spend there, plus NO SEATED ACTIVITIES were in force for a long time. I went in tommake free photocopies now and then and to pick up a few books.

am wothin walking diatance, 1 mile, of a branch library and the giant Central library in the city and also within 1 mile of my
    hermann branch library.

I’m guessing that each local library system is looking at their municipal guidelines as well as their state guidelines because they have to follow those. They are not making their decisions independently.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-26-21 at 7:10pm.

Thread Information