Page 165 of 244 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2436

Thread: The Daily Rave

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is a miracle. I would be long dead if I did not have handrails. I am getting where I freak out when I take a bath at my son's house and there is no handrail to help me get out of the tub. . . .
    You can get one at Amazon to bring with you. I just bought one the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A miracle! This morning a handrail appeared on the stairway down to our basement. I’ve been asking for handrail for 32 years but it was, alas, NOT ALLOWED. It was forbidden!

Now that I’m only going to live here for a few more weeks, I get a handrail. Lucky me?

Here’s a photo of the miracle.Attachment 4511
    Wait--is that the iron bar??

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Wait--is that the iron bar??
    Haha nope. I was quizzing him last night about that iron bar and he claims he can saw through it and has used pieces of it over the years, and it is shorter than it once was. OK buddy whatever you say.

In Hermann, I had already envisioned a scenario where I drag DH in to talk to my physician with a prearranged lecture where she tells him about how One of the top causes of senior citizen death is a fall. I was not going to have a house in our old age with no handrail to the basement. I’m getting handrails in the bathroom I will be using most often.

to his credit DH has agreed to have a handrail to this basement in Hermann, his main logic being that with our walkout basement he has easy access to the basement and doesn’t have to rely on the stairwell to move large pieces of whatever up and down which was his excuse in the city. I will just mention that our city house DOES have access to the basement from outside as well as inside, so I think it was a poor argument but doesn’t matter now.

I guess better late than never!?!? LOL. Congrats on the handrail.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was quizzing him last night about that iron bar and he claims he can saw through it and has used pieces of it over the years, and it is shorter than it once was. OK buddy whatever you say.
    Angle iron is a pretty useful item for DIY'ers. If I were him, I'd hold onto it too.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So, DH and I have been rushing around doing some house fixes prior to my NJ son coming up and my daughter's in-laws coming for a BBQ at our house. They haven't been here since the wedding.

After putting up my marigold wallpaper, we rearranged furniture, which left the entry wall bare and an unattractive electrical socket exposed. I knew I needed something in that small space.. a floating shelf or a very narrow console. I started looking at Target and Wayfair but they seemed so blah.

On the way to the supermarket the day before everyone came, I pulled out of our street and noticed that our neighboring antique shop was OPEN!! He was open twice last year. My car basically drove itself into the parking area, and I SCORED a walnut lectern!! $39!! I brought it home and then went back to my food shopping.

When I returned DH and DS had just returned from fishing, and I guess I got a seal of approval for the purchase, apparently, because I found DH thumbing through his fishing encyclopedia to find a great illustrative page of fishes and hooks--and after finding just the right one he set it up on the lecturn. DH approval! SCORE!

I love it! I love serendipitous discoveries!

IMG_3489.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is such a cute and functional piece! Nice!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That's a handsome lectern--and I like your wallpaper!

Yppej
    Nice Catherine!

That's a great piece and perfect for the space!

Thread Information