Page 3 of 247 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Rave

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Fresh beans!
    Funny how, even at the farmer's markets, I rarely see fresh beans beyond soybeans (edamame) or garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas). Even bean sprouts aren't hard to find. But fresh non-canned/dried beans? Not so much. I wonder why that is. Are they particularly fragile or short-lived when fresh?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Funny how, even at the farmer's markets, I rarely see fresh beans beyond soybeans (edamame) or garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas). Even bean sprouts aren't hard to find. But fresh non-canned/dried beans? Not so much. I wonder why that is. Are they particularly fragile or short-lived when fresh?
    I wonder if it is something my neighbor said, which might be a reason. He was having back issues and the green beans in the garden were ready to be picked. The amount grown, verses the cost at the grocery store, didn't warrant a trip to the chiropractor and those costs.

No actually, they dry nicely and last a long time, but I prefer to cook them when freshly picked. But we will be drying some because they are too much to eat all at once.

I wonder if there is lack of fresh beans because people will not shell them. You have to spend a fair amount of time preparing a cup of uncooked beans.

Same with pitting cherries, that takes time.i do not know where to buy fresh sour cherries other than at the UPick places.

I had fantastic customer service from a company that provides digital information for a craft I do. I asked a question and the company owner called me. During the call, she gave me some good info on which file to use since it would be easier to work with than the one I ordered. They accidentally sent the wrong file which I uploaded. When I let them know, they replaced it immediately without fuss and without additional payment. Could not have been easier.

As a result, I am a happy customer and let a huge group on I belong to on Facebook know. Great free good advertising for her due to the personal, informative, and quick service.

I love Halo Top Vanilla Bean ice cream! One serving is only 60 calories! It is high in protein.

i have tried other low cal ice cream and it is drek. This is the real deal.

I love Halo Top Vanilla Bean ice cream!
    I finally tried Halo Top as a dessert for dinner I served to friends (different flavor, though). It was good, without the airiness and gumminess I've come to expect from lower-calorie ice creams. But I thought it was a little grainy. I wonder if our pint had become a little thawed and refrozen at some point. I'll try it again, though.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I finally tried Halo Top as a dessert for dinner I served to friends (different flavor, though). It was good, without the airiness and gumminess I've come to expect from lower-calorie ice creams. But I thought it was a little grainy. I wonder if our pint had become a little thawed and refrozen at some point. I'll try it again, though.
    I think
    vanilla Bean is their strongest product, and is also the lowest calorie one. I've tried Pistachio and Chocolate and they are OK but not as good.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-21-17 at 1:16pm.

I think
    vanilla Bean is their strongest product, and is also the lowest calorie one. I've tried Pistachio and Chocolate and they are OK but not as good.
    I've had Lemon Cake, and liked it a lot. For "diet" ice cream, it wasn't bad. I admit I made it better by pouring heavy cream over it.

Made the BEST tasting bean soup! It is heavy on fennel. Many people hate fennel. I dislike bland food. I suppose it is a combnation of allergies of my youth and smoking in my youth, but I do not have refined taste buds. Give me heavily flavored food any time which is why I like 3rd world cuisine so much Anyway—here are ingredients of this soup:

beans, several kinds

onions

tomatoes

flavored chicnks of beef

ALL the above from our garden but for the beef which was from two miles from DH’s family farm

Also these ingredients were purchased:

spinach (we didnt have any home grown in our freezer and it is slightly too early to harvest from cold frames

fennel

beef soup base

I could have thrown in home grown okra, But the soup seemed robust enough

the real star of this soup was the beans, I dont even know how many kinds but at least three, that were home grown.

Thread Information