Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i love my hair

I don't think you can temporarily go gray or lighter, what my hairdresser said (when I wanted to dye the growing out period) was you needed to bleach as light as you could and then use a white toner/dye like manic panic. It can trash your hair. I dyed lighter and lighter for awhile and then did some highlights for transition. I agree not all grey looks great, when mine was only some gray it mostly looked drab and sloppy. That is why I like this so much, it is not just gray to prove a hippy point, it looks nice.

I think when I'm ready to go with the gray, I would like to try dreadlocks, like SiouxQ! That would make it kind of fun, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think when I'm ready to go with the gray, I would like to try dreadlocks, like SiouxQ! That would make it kind of fun, I think.
    Dreadlocks look pretty good if they have those colorful hollow beads strung on them. But, it may be extra trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Dreadlocks look pretty good if they have those colorful hollow beads strung on them. But, it may be extra trouble.
    I have one kid who still has dreads and another who has had them 2 times and taken them out. The beads are awesome, some of the clay ones were more likely to break. My kids made their own that looked like an octopus clinging to their hair or other painted fun ones. My daughter named some of her (however she is the kid who also named her pot pipe) and had favorites.

I like the idea of a wig during the transition, but I just like wigs in general. Too bad I'd look like Captain Kangaroo or the guy on the Quaker Oats box wearing one.

My hair is currently in the mousy stage, from chestnut. I may never go completely gray. With my thyroid MIA, I'm lucky to have any hair left.

I always called those catastrophic haircuts "astronaut's wife helmet hair" but yes, Captain Kangaroo, you've nailed it. Wigs and bad haircuts both shift me into Captain Kangaroo mode.

Currently I'm doing henna and not sure how one transitions out of that, but I like the henna so I'll keep going with that at least until my current boxes are gone. My most successful hair coloring was probably my natural dishwater blonde with lighter streaks, and I imagine what will work later in life is to do that with my iron gray as a base instead. My hair just can't handle the constant coloring even with a semi-permanent dye, so the fewer strands I have to bleach, the better. I am really amazed at how much less damage henna does.

I'd like dreads but I don't think I have the hair for them and I tend to get irritated with Stuff - pull out extensions, pull off fake fingernails, chew at lipstick til it's gone.

I agree with Packy that older people can look garish and awful with artificial looking color ... but not everyone does, some just look vibrant and alive with their bright lips or hair. What makes the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post

I agree with Packy that older people can look garish and awful with artificial looking color ... but not everyone does, some just look vibrant and alive with their bright lips or hair. What makes the difference?
    Skin color is what makes the difference in my opinion... Vibrant healthy skin.

And I love my hair too! It is dark blond with about 50 percent silvery grey that blends very nicely. I will never ever color it again. It looks so healthy and shiny. I get lots of compliments on it.

Songbird - I wish there was a simple way to get good skin! I have a lot of trouble sticking to a skin care routine. I just scrub with a warm washcloth and slap on some sunscreen.

I'm sure my skin could look a lot better, but it's very sensitive and the products I've tried (MANY) have not been successful. Blotchy, dry, saggy, fine lines and wrinkles - yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Songbird - I wish there was a simple way to get good skin! I have a lot of trouble sticking to a skin care routine. I just scrub with a warm washcloth and slap on some sunscreen.

I'm sure my skin could look a lot better, but it's very sensitive and the products I've tried (MANY) have not been successful. Blotchy, dry, saggy, fine lines and wrinkles - yuck.
    Gardenarian, I struggle with my skin too. I have a mild case of rosacea and some days my skin looks terrible no matter what I do. The only thing that helps is drinking lots of water, plenty of sleep, keeping my life as stress free as possible, and I use a moisturizer for sensitive skin that seems to help...

I'm definitely not one of those that can pull off bright make-up or hair color. Natural is best for me and make-up of any kind just irritates and flares my skin up.
    Last edited by Songbird; 2-26-15 at 11:42pm. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information