Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite hot cereals

Favorite hot cereals

Just got back from Puerto Rico and had Puerto Rican Breakfast Custard Maizena that was lovely! They must have used coconut milk for part of it! Also had a cornmeal breakfast cereal. It was good but not as good as the custard.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/puerto-...kfast-custard/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cornmeal-mush/

Also, routinely make baked oatmeal with nuts and fruit that we LOVE! I used make cream of wheat too.

What are your favorite hot cereals?

I like cooked oats (for some reason, we never called it "oatmeal"; just oats) with chopped/minced veggies, and chopped walnuts, and coconut nectar for sweetener. Oh yeah, and a bit of salt, of course. Same with cream of rice.

Oatmeal. I've had it almost every morning for the past 5 years or so. Oatbran for the 5 years prior:-)

I like the sound of that breakfast custard. I rarely eat cereals, but I've made tasty hot breakfasts from ricotta or cottage cheese, eggs, and chia seeds or chopped nuts.

I like to eat oatmeal at various times of the day. I usually eat yogurt with frozen fruit for breakfast. There was quite awhile when I would make cornmeal mush and loved it. Not something I think most would like. I haven't made anything with cornmeal since it is all GMO. I have to find some organic cornmeal! Used to eat some other tasty things for breakfast but now thst I am appoximately 90% vegan, the yogurt I have to start making with non-dairy milks, I don't eat them anymore.....

Oatmeal with natural peanut butter or almond butter stirred in then mixed with berries. Every single morning and I never get sick of it.

I mostly cook old fashioned oatmeal with cinnamon and add applesauce and sugar. I also have a multigrain mix that I make with oat groats, rye, brown rice and a few other grains. I cook it in the crock pot and add cinnamon and applesauce to that also. Since it takes a few hours in the crock pot, I only make it once a month or so. I make enough for 4 or 5 days at a time and eat it all week.

Traditional Scots porridge here.

Steel cut oats, not the rolled stuff, cooked half and half, water/milk and a pinch of salt. In the bowl, cover with a wee drop of milk, not enough to cover the top, sprinkle with a little salt.

Hate fruits or sugars or honey on porridge, although my husband like to forego the added salt and add banana slices to his bowl.

My great-aunt used to eat Cream of Wheat every morning--I never was into that. My favorite is oatmeal, with Vermont maple syrup and blueberries on top
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In my humble opinion steel cut oats are the way to go. Topped with a dab of butter and real maple syrup. Sometimes I fry or poach an egg and put it on top, which may sound odd, but is pretty good.

Thread Information