Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This new computer and Windows 7.........ACH!!!

Like most things in my life, the old computer has become something i baby along and consider more valuable than gold, because I'm just done, fed up with using up my precious remaining life figuring out how to do what I already know how to do instead of moving forward, because some for-profit a-hole moved the cheese again.

I SO HEAR YOU, CATHY!!!

Oh man, I feel the same way Kib.
    We were sort of forced into changing, since our old computer was VERY old and struggling horribly. We had to clean it up and restart it constantly. You could hear it chugging along like an old steam engine.

However.....because I voiced my horror at having to upset the apple cart, the old one is still running right behind me......in case there was something in the near future that I couldn't get to (because it was too dang complicated). I'm trying to force myself to stick with this one, so it hopefully becomes easier.
    I do think that it's a composite problem......meaning that all the programs had to be updated, and that made EVERYTHING different and more complicated.

It just sickens me to think of the no-doubt financial motivation to be constantly changing things that people depend on.
    I have trouble sometimes just finding all the right buttons on my smart phone to actually make a call!

I saw an ad awhile back for computers for old farts. hahaha........ They supposedly were very simple. Maybe I should look into one of those??

I've always thought Apple products were unnecessarily overpriced, but maybe you're paying for simplicity of operation. Food for thought.

There were changes from XP, to Vista. Some continued on, while others would change again. Classic Shell, is a freeware program that can be used to make Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 look like XP again. (one option)
    That won't help with the other software that has changed, like the office programs.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've always thought Apple products were unnecessarily overpriced, but maybe you're paying for simplicity of operation. Food for thought.

Well, that's how I've justified buying Apple computers since 1989.

Cathy, I've been given an "upgraded" Windows computer at work. About the icon that lets you know if you have new email:

Somewhere on the dock (I think that's the same as the "tray at the bottom" you mention) there's a tiny little button you can click. I think when you hover your mouse over it, it says something like "show hidden icons."

Click on this tiny icon.

At the bottom of the dialogue box, it should say something like, "Customize." Click on that.

There should be a list of several names of software. Look for "Outlook," which is most likely the software you are using to get your email. Click on the little menu bar to the right of "Outlook."

There should be an option to "Show notifications." Click on that.

This *should* then allow the little envelope to appear in the dock when you get a new email.

I share this with you because it took me *three* freakin' weeks to figure this out on my new computer. Something that simple should not be that hard to find out and do. And my boss was beginning to think I was never at my desk, because it was taking me hours and hours to respond to emails--because I had no notification that I had new ones!

And if you've upgraded all your programs at the same time, you are probably dealing with Microsoft's new "ribbon" of commands across the top. The ribbon stinks, IMHO. They've basically hidden all your familiar commands and you have to go hunting for them.

Google for "free Word X tutorial," with X being the version of Word you are now stuck with. And "free Windows 7 tutorial," as well. Microsoft has some, and there are a lot of others out there on the net. There's a good chance that you can get the pictures back on your photo folders. It's probably just a setting somewhere that you can change. But you have to know where it is before you can do anything, and that's the sort of thing Microsoft hides very well.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've always thought Apple products were unnecessarily overpriced, but maybe you're paying for simplicity of operation.
    I've used Macs for years (DOS/Windows, too, over the years). Yes, simplicity is part of the cost. So is the design, the use of higher-quality components, and the world-wide support. Not every computer maker offers that. Not every computer user wants that. Compare the cost of a Mac to an equivalent top-tier Windows computer equipped similarly and the Mac competes pretty well.

I've been fortunate to avoid the scourge that is Windows 8.x on a home computer. I hear Windows Phone is pretty good, but I'm still not convinced that user interface makes sense on a desktop/laptop computer. On the other hand, there are plenty of features of Mac OS X 10.9 I'm not using and really haven't even played with yet. The terrain does change quickly.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for that tip Miss Cellane.
    I think I found the place you were talking about, but it had nothing about an email location or notification option. It's for Gmail. I have the feeling that Google has discontinued that envelope at the bottom that gets an "M" in it when you have mail.
    I'll ask DH tonight if he knows anything about your suggestion, since he knows more than I do.
    I believe you've helped me with my computer in the past, and I appreciate it!

This is why I run Unix on computers I do real work on. Some of the tools I use everyday haven't changed much since the 1970s/1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    There's no longer a envelope in the bottom tray that lets me know when I have gmail.
    Maybe this would help? Get GMail Alert in Windows Taskbar
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I've got Windows 7 and I haven't noticed much difference from previous versions. I'm not looking forward to Windows 8, however--or that thing where they want to charge you a fee every year to maintain Office. I'm running Open Office simultaneously with a "free" edition of MS Word that they keep trying to cut off/charge me for. Unix is sounding pretty good, though when I worked with it, the only command I could remember was the "back" one.

Thread Information