Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Beatlemaniac Shaking her Head

Well, I have done some reading on the subject of those Beatles you kids seem to worship,, from various sources, and picked up something interesting. I have not spun it into some full-fledged theory or anything. Just a couple of random observations. I was curious about the drummer that was fired and replaced with Ringo, shortly before they became world famous. Ringo, as you no doubt know, recently was inducted into that Hall O' Fame, up there in Cleveland. Okay, it isn't entirely clear, because the original drum man didn't get hit by a truck or something, and Official reasons are not always reliable. But the unofficial conjecture runs like this: the drummer was not as technically proficient or as open to working with their record producer, as the same felt was necessary for their success as recording artists--that reason aligns with the official reports. See, he was hired on, through mutual connections, while the group was being formed up to go to Hamburg, on the German-Denmark border, and entertain. Apparently, he was not really in their circle; though in the band, but not really close friends. Indications are that he was also more attractive to female fans & getting more attention than the other guys. So, when they returned to England to start recording, this became an issue that had to be resolved. So, they recruited Ringo, who was technically more proficient & compliant; and not as much of a distraction from the front men, John & Paul. See? Then, they booted the original drummer(Pete) out. Okay--the issue of what led to the breakup of the Beatles. Well, the usual answer is "creative differences". Well, maybe. But, I think it's more like a restaurant that starts out great; very popular at first; but then after a few years the owner becomes self-satisfied and lacks motivation(heavy pot use, there), and starts serving leftover pizza and McBurgers to it's patrons, instead of fresh, original stuff. Most of the Beatpools later albums were pieced together with outtakes from earlier work or jams based upon some drug-induced snippet of melody. All kinds of stooped stuff. "she came in through the bathroom window; Lucy in the sky with diamonds; Rory Racoon. And worse. Admittedly, people bought it, anyway! The next thing is, Lennon & McCartney were becoming too preoccupied with their girlfriends, who were basically wannabee artiste's. They were Mama's boys, who tended to let their wimmin dominate them. Linda Eastmans' family managed McCartneys' fortune, and quite well. Ono's family was in Finance, too. There is a famous video of the Beatles' Lennon, performing onstage with Chuck Berry, and Yoko Ono is now performing with them, doing pretty much nothing useful. In fact at one point, she grabs a microphone, and impetuously yelps into the microphone, which suddenly got Chuck Berrys' attention, in a very negative way, like: WTF??? How do you like that?
    Last edited by Packy; 4-28-15 at 3:34pm.

ummmm, that would be 'Rocky' Raccoon. You remember him dontcha? His rival it seems had broken his dreams by stealing the girl of his fancy. I know it's hard to keep names straight sometime considering that her name was Magil and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    ummmm, that would be 'Rocky' Raccoon. You remember him dontcha? His rival it seems had broken his dreams by stealing the girl of his fancy. I know it's hard to keep names straight sometime considering that her name was Magil and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.
    That's the deal with the trend toward "abstract" lyrics that started in the 60's , which I really don't mind because I'm not a lyric person. What the senseless (or enigmatic, whatever)lyrics do is allow meanings and interpretations to be attached, AFTER THE FACT. This makes songwriting a whole lot easier, because you can come up with a catchy tune, and assign it a catchy, if nonsensical lyric, that Fits like a glove. See? In the Brill Building, where a huge number of 50's and 60's pop songs were written, songwriting partnerships were very common--one person devised the melody, and the other came up with lyrics to fit. Or, vice-versa. But, for a musician making fast-paced rock music, that becomes a challenge. Lennon & McCartney certainly weren't Rodgers & Hammerstein; though I will grant you that they may have had some theme on their mindsin their later works--usually drugs and sex and more drugs. See? So anyway, just put in some colorful, nonesensical lyrics that flow with the melody, the tempo, and you've resolved it! Play it, and let the fans figure it out, for you. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mee.

Haha, Alan.. Packy, you want abstract Beatle lyrics?

I am he as you are he as you are me
    And we are all together
    See how they run like pigs from a gun see how they fly
    I'm crying

Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come
    Corporation tee shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday
    Man you been a naughty boy. You let your face grow long
    I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
    I am the walrus, goo goo g' joob
    (An American Idol contestant did an excellent cover of this song recently)

Packy, your research is probably correct. As a Beatlemaniac, I agree with much of what you said with regard to the replacement of Pete Best and the influence of Yoko and Linda, etc. As songwriters, I think they are just as good, if not better than Rodgers and Hammerstein, although that's really comparing apples to oranges, and since I'm a huge 50s and 60s musical theatre fan, it's not like I'm biased towards one pair vs. the other.

Somehow the Beatles emerged at center of the perfect storm of historical and cultural happenings. And they were able to evolve their music rather than marketing the same old stuff. I know life goes on, but I can't imagine that Mr. Kanye will ever achieve the status the Beatles did, despite how kind he was to recognize this new artist, Paul McCartney.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Post script: To my knowledge, Rodgers & Hammerstein weren't Electric Guitar players, either. Something else: Kanye West, is quite frequently held up as the Poster Child for arguing about What's Wrong With Today's Music. But, as much publicity as he gets, he is by no means representative of today's music, as a whole. He just isn't. I regard him as peripheral in his appeal; just like a lot of what is presented to us by the pot-stirring, man-bites-dog, News-manufacturing Industry, West is largely irrelevant. He appeals to a fanbase of excitable people who grab onto what the majority of people find abhorrent; a certain segment of the social counterculture. Remember my rant about the ticket prices poor whites will pay to see noisemaster extraordinaire Joe Bannanaamasta? Same deal. We've always had that type of Art; but they usually starved, due to much smaller media sources, not giving them exposure they needed to gain a fanbase.. Now, there is a media outlet for everyone, and all tastes. This is not to say that his sound will not leave some residual influences that will find its' way into more listenable music; it seems like that usually happens. It seems like most of the greats have influences from less-accomplished artists. Hope that helps you some.
    Last edited by Packy; 4-28-15 at 8:57pm.

Thread Information