Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About church

About church

For the first time in my life, I am regularly attending a church. I find myself asking, what exactly is this all about?
    I enjoy the services, but there is quite a lot of talk about business - who is on what board, meetings coming up, and fundraising. I don't like that stuff so much.

I guess I was hoping church would be more of an experience, an event. One that would leave me feeling at peace with myself and uplifted - like going to ashram. It does, a bit - but I'm not feeling it in my bones.

I was also hoping to feel part of a community, and while the congregation has been very friendly and welcoming, I'm not sure it's MY community.

It's a Unitarian Universalist church. They are having some classes in March about the basics that I hope will help me decide if this is something I want to invest myself in or not.

I'm feeling pretty ambivalent at the moment.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I always ask those who are poking around new UU congregations and church attendance there: What is it that you are looking for?

For you, I can see church giving you social contacts in a (presumably) like-minded tribe, important since you are new in town.

I feel no need, no need whatsoever, for church. Spirituality isn't my thing. Were it so, the UU's would not be my place of choice for that.

I've always wished there were organizations like church without the religion. Places where you could have a sense of community, try to make the world better, and focus on the non-commercial aspects of life. Something like a modern Lyceum or secular Chautauqua. I guess I'm the only one though as presumably there would be a supply if there was a demand. It's unfortunate as many of the church-goers I know really aren't that into the religious part either, they just want a place to educate their kids on morals, have a social network, and join a sports league. Wish we could just be honest about it and skip the religious part but I confess that without the religious glue it doesn't seem to hold together (or at least I can't cite any examples of it working).

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I guess I was hoping church would be more of an experience, an event.
    They are having some classes in March about the basics that I hope will help me decide if this is something I want to invest myself in or not.
    Church being an experience only comes from a lot of business - boards, meetings, etc. As someone who works for a church I can tell you church events take a lot of hard work behind the worship/teaching/meeting service. I can tell you that any class you take will help you feel more a part of things. Getting involved will create community.

Sitting back and just watching will make you feel isolated and not a part of things. An intro class or a small group or a women's event will help you get to know others and others get to know you.

I talk to a lot of people who say "the church isn't friendly" but the person came in late, sat in the back row, left early, didn't attend fellowship time or equipping classes, never tried a community group or attended anything extra.

It does take some time to build community.
    Last edited by Float On; 2-9-15 at 10:29pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

You can't do instant community. As someone else said, church takes a lot of work, behind the scenes.

If the UU doesn't work out for you, consider checking out the Episcopalians. They can be quite liberal and inclusive, but with more conservative parishes here and there, depending on location. The music and liturgy will usually be pretty good.

The UU church in our neighborhood has a lot of interesting "programs" - book clubs, breakfast club, speaker series, yoga classes, etc. I like to listen to the sermons sometimes but it's not something I feel compelled to do anymore. I have found the most community by volunteering for causes and topics I am interested in outside of religious organizations.

I recently heard about a group of skeptics/agnostics/atheists who are meeting on Sundays in Phoenix as an alternative community to other things which are based on religion.

I haven't checked it out. I'm lucky to have a circle of family and friends here who meet that need in my life, without the organized religion as a part of it.

This is really interesting, so keep reading. I live in the Bible Belt--in fact it is The Buckle Of The Bible Belt. If it isn't the Buckle, then surely it is The Tie Clip, or at least one of The Cufflinks Of The Bible Belt. Ha. Just trying to be funny. Anyway, a major grocery chain got skeered o' wallymart, and cut n' run, leaving vacant a 26-year old building that they leased for the past 20 years from the Grocery firm that cut n' run before them. The building they WERE in prior to that, is now a Lirrrrarrry. Before it was a Lirrrarry, and after it was a grocery store, it was a furniture store. My davenport came from that placwe. How do you like that? Anyway, the 1988 building is cursed because while it was being built, a construction worker came in contact with a high-voltage line and was killed. For that reason, the building should have been razed, and the site made into a Memorial. It may be the same reason(well kind of)Bruce Jenner, formerly the world's greatest athlete, is having such misfortune. He lived in Newtown, Connecticut as a youth, and his sister went to Sandy Hook and his brother was killed later on. Then, Jenner went Hollywood, hooked up with the sinner Kardashians, all the rest. On and on. Total Bad Luck. See? Maybe, now that they've razed the Sandy Hook school, and next--- that house, his luck will change. Ya spose? Do you see the connection? No? Anyway, I was saying: I had my eye on that 100,000+ sf vacant Grocery store to lease as my very own "All Days Saints Everloving Hands Of God Holy Temple" or something just as grandiose, with littlebittymee as head Pastor. Of course, I would hire underlings, just like the other Mega-Super-Stadium Churches do here, to preach and kiss babies and make the coffee and crap like that. I, would be more of a behind-the-scenes-guy, like Godd himself. See? I'd just know who was naughty or nice, and count the proceeds from the collection plate. The REAL important stuff. But, another grocery chain, a local outfit that, 20 years ago, had a store prolly 500 feet down the road, and cut n' run, has undercut mee, leased the building, and scotched my deal. So- now, they are back in the hood. Trouble is, I don't care for their stores. Reason being, their Mdse is too stinkin' HIGH- PRICED! Satan, at work again. Oh well. Nuthin' I can do about it, 'cept pray for a Miracle. Hope that helps you some. Repent.
    Last edited by Packy; 2-10-15 at 3:07pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I recently heard about a group of skeptics/agnostics/atheists who are meeting on Sundays in Phoenix as an alternative community to other things which are based on religion.

I haven't checked it out. I'm lucky to have a circle of family and friends here who meet that need in my life, without the organized religion as a part of it.

I can see the first two, but not atheists. They are a lack of religion, and tend not to believe that meeting in a group on a particular day, is a needed thing.
    Organized religion seems like an Amway sort of thing to me. IMHE, after several church scandals, I am not sure I would trust the message, that is being delivered from messengers that can manipulate it, and certainly don't practice it.

Let Me Tell you this: You Kids come to MY church (if and when I get the bricks-and-mortar issue resolved), and I'll see to it you are ALL treated like Family. From Minute One that you get there. Hope that helps you some. Thankk Mmee, and bless you.

Thread Information