Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About church

Every Penny that you Give to my Holy Church Of All Day Saints will be used to carry forth the word. Church, all day, is a day well spent.

Gardenarian -
    You might try the Ashland branch of the American Association of University Women

Here is the url for the branch interest groups page. Looks like a pretty active branch.
    http://ashland-or.aauw.net/activities/groups/

Thank you all for your advice. I will write a note on my checks.
    Profnot, I just picked up a brochure for that association at the library! Great minds...

I did go to church this past Sunday and stayed for the congregational meeting, which was a summing up of what all the different committees are doing.

I really do want to be part a spiritual community, and I feel bureaucracy is the opposite of spirituality. Still feeling very conflicted!

Is it possible to have community without bureaucracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    No. :-)

It sounds like you are looking for two different things, and maybe you'd be better served by separating them.
    A. a personal spiritual experience that might be best served by a meditation group, yoga class or other quiet reflective experience, and B. a joining in community to do good works in the world. Ideally that could be covered in one place, but perhaps that's not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I really do want to be part a spiritual community, and I feel bureaucracy is the opposite of spirituality. Still feeling very conflicted!

Depends on the definition you use. You should make it clear to those your wondering about joining, which definition, so you can get a truthful response.

Since the English word "church" is a term that is used to translate a word from scriptures, I find it helpful to look at the way the original word "church", in the original language(s) of the scriptures was used. Because a term can change drastically in meaning through the processes of time and translation to a different culture and language. It can end up meaning something the complete opposite of what it originally was. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily; It is ok to call something the same name as something that was a completely different animal; it is just enlightening to be aware of this process. And in my opinion, it is of value to know how the term was originally used, if one claims to use scriptures as inspiration or something like that. However, this would require some serious study and knowledge of historical background, which many citizens today are not interested in pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    No. :-)

It sounds like you are looking for two different things, and maybe you'd be better served by separating them.
    A. a personal spiritual experience that might be best served by a meditation group, yoga class or other quiet reflective experience, and B. a joining in community to do good works in the world. Ideally that could be covered in one place, but perhaps that's not possible?
    I think you are absolutely right.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

I have my own ritual of listening or reading highly spiritual material in the AM and PM and then focusing my mind in implementing it during the day. We had the same experience with the church we went to. No food for the soul, just a lot of talk of doctrines and announcements. You can really have your spiritual experience by youself by trying to grow spiritually day by day. I took it into my own hands and feel great about it.There is a study group that I plan on going to that just talks about the material and very little talk about events etc....

Good luck in finding what works for you...Chris

I second Kib. My parents raised me UU but I found myself zoning during sermons and frustrated by some of the culture. I then got involved as an adult with a local hiking group and a local land stewardship group which are more satisfying than church, in that I feel more like I'm taking an active role in making a better world. Just started meditation for the more brain-calming that some find in church. Working on coopting holidays to be more in line with beliefs and providing more meaning.
    For those interested in a church structure without gods there's some called Sunday Assembly I think.

Thread Information