Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips on being a landlady or landlord? Advice, please.

Tips on being a landlady or landlord? Advice, please.

I've been spending lots of time this past year learning about becoming a landlady. I now know enough to realize I need to find top advisers on choosing, buying, maintaining residential rental property. I'll start small and have professionals handle the property management.

I want to target single professionals working in downtown areas who like city life and want to rent there. I hope to offer quality places at a reasonable rate.

I'm thinking of starting with a condo, learning more, then eventually look at apartment buildings with a small number of units for over age 55 renters.

Would you landladies and landlords give me tips and what to do and/or avoid?

How do I find the best professionals to work with?

All tips welcome!

Thanks!

We were reluctant landlords when we were stuck with my MILs empty house during the height of the recession, so if I wrote a list of things NOT to do, which we learned the hard way, maybe that would help. So here are my big three "do nots":

--Do not be a long-distance landlord. You have to be there to keep an eye out, with or without property managers
    --Do not hold a big mortgage on it. Try to pay cash, to minimize risk. Don't assume 12 months rental income coming in.
    --Do not assume your tenants are "nice people." You don't know. This goes back to the first item. Keep an eye on who is living there, and how they maintain the property, before it's too late. We got stuck with a squatter who was not on the lease but who ate up prime selling season and a lot of legal fees trying while we tried to evict her. Make sure you do your credit checks and cover all your bases with all the lease riders you need to protect yourself.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Over on the Mr. Money Mustache board there are several professional property owners who will get your started, including giving you links to forums where only landlords hang out.

The very first thing is to run the numbers on the units you are considering. Those MMM guys use the "1% minimum" rule which is this : The unit needs to generate 1% of its market value per month.

So, a $250,000 property needs to generate a minimum of $2,500 per month or it's no deal. They seem to get properties in the 1% - 2% range, so it is do-able.

Interestingly enough, one of the moderators on the MMM site purposely buys property sight-unseen, and from a long distance. To me, that is a recipe for disaster, but he's got enough creds with me to convince me that for him, it has worked. But he is pretty young so hasn't been at this for a long time.

I watched a friend, rolling in money from the sale of his San Francisco triplex, come to town here and set up as a property owner. Properties here are so cheap! He went around buying up historic buildings in need of renovation. He crashed and burned, going through $500,000. He did not run numbers in advance, he bought property when he liked the way it looked.

When you run the numbers, 90% + of properties will not qualify for the 1% rule. That's when you walk away.

I, too, became an accidental landlord.

What I've learned is that you will not be able to count on getting only "good" tenants. Not that I have bad tenants, mind you, but that there are enough legal protections for applicants that it would be very difficult to advertise your rental widely without running into marginal applicants. That's when things like good lease documents, credit checks/vetting, and keeping tabs come into play to limit your liability. You also could be willing to carry the unit(s) for months while you advertise exclusively wherever you hope to find your ideal tenants. But that's no guarantee, either.

If you're planning on professional property management, make sure you run your numbers. I looked at that for the place I rent out (a single-family house within city limits) and we looked at it again when DW's house was on the market for a year and a half. Their charges come right off the rent before you pay your mortgage and taxes and make capital investments/major repairs. That'll ruin your "1%" right there. Or make the rent so high you don't get good takers. And don't be tempted to go with the lowest bidder in the belief that all management companies are the same. Managers who make tenants' lives difficult invite passive-aggressive behavior on the part of tenants, and can easily cost you more than you save in fees.

Another suggestion I would make is to buy only properties you'd want to live in yourself. Not that I have to love the 1920's bungalow I rent out. But when I first started renting out this place, several other properties came on the market in this very neighborhood at very low prices courtesy of The Great Recession. I looked at them with an eye toward buying, updating, and renting out. But a cosmetic flip would not have covered problems like no garage (that's a big deal in Minnesota) or no yard/private space (fine for an apartment/condo; not so for a single-family house or duplex) or proximity to a busy business. There were reasons these properties were low-priced even during the Recession -- they were less desirable as homes, so they'd be less desirable as rentals. Which means less rent or less-desirable tenants.

Good luck!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I see the 1% rule as absolute minimum, that's where you start. If a property you like makes that number, you can proceed to more analysis. The 1% rule doesn't mean "buy it!" Just clarifying here.

Also, my friend who lost a lot of his San Francisco money DID of course do some analysis, he just didn't do it well. And because he worked with Victorian buildings that needed a lot of analysis, it was complicated.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-12-15 at 11:55am.

OP, are you in an area where condos actually appreciate and can be easily rented? Here in the Midwest they are a bad investment.

Condos come with their own set of problems. I would NEVER buy a condo. They are fraught with financial problems in management. So many people buy them and lose money on them. And if you own several condos in the same building, you may find yourself paying ALL of the maintenance fees because other units have defaulted. I see that again and again.

It's impossible to tell how much you know about real estate from your post, but you may be better off putting money in financial instruments.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-12-15 at 12:39pm.

I have to admit, i rented co-ops, with a very strict co-op board, and it was a blessing in disguise. They did the due diligence, scary interview and decided who could and couldn't rent. I never once had a problem with any of the tenants they approved. If you tend to be a pushover for a "nice" person who doesn't meet the criteria you've set out in your head, you need someone else to make the decision.

My landlord woes haven't been terrible, but I have had some people who didn't keep things up - make sure you decide ahead of time who will do yard maintenance! - I also had one tenant who was a friend of a friend, I relied on her judgment instead of my own, and that was a total mess. So again, you need to do your own hatchet work, or employ someone hard hearted to do it for you.

One last thing: letting people get cheap rent for carpentry services is a big no-no. If someone is going to do maintenance for pay, let that be separate from the rent. It's just too easy to ok a half-done or badly-done job or run into an uncomfortable situation. Ok, you say you did 30 hours of work and you should get free rent this month ... really? (friend of friend, it's not like everyone's crooked but you never know, just don't go there).

We are considering creating an attached studio in the rear of our house to use as an Air BNB or rental income. The space is already there (it is a family room) so we'd be adding a small kitchenette, bathroom, and a couple walls (by "we" I mean contractors:-). We are thinking about 20-25k to get it ready, and then renting it out. Question we keep coming back to is do we include space and appliances for stackable washer & dryer. I think having one would make the rental far more attractive, but I worry about repairs (we are *not* handy) and associated electric & water costs. How much would a W/D impact your decision to rent? (If this is too off topic I 'm happy to start a new post.)

IL, thanks for explaining the 1% rule. I read over at MMM often and wasn't clear of the 1%.

Many thanks for all the tips!

I have been living on MMM for the last few days. Learning lots there. The books some posters recommend look good, too.

Thanks for telling me to be careful when I run the numbers. I've been watching some very professional webinars on YouTube by Empower Wealth. EW is a company down under that helps real estate investors find properties. They also offer prop management services. EW stresses getting not just an appraisal on a property but also getting an analysis and projection complete with any repairs or renovations needed. Being brand new, I will definitely do this.
    This is one of the best EW webinar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMfz0keJLso

There's a real estate attorney in CO with good videos on YouTube. In the one in the link, he quickly and clearly explains how to mix entity types (Corportation, LLC, etc), tax issues, and residential real estate ownership for best monetary result.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpxT3tkclg

99% of the real estate vidoes on YouTube are junk. The quality of these two companies is top.
    Regarding the washer/dryer issue -
    Having a w/d in the unit would be a huge draw for AirBnb renters. But if you want regular-style renters, have the hook ups but not the machines. This saves you expense and repair woes. Renters with their own machines can afford higher rent. If the renter doesn't have them, then s/he will have more closet space. Do you have wash & fold service nearby for renters?

I love this forum. You guys are the best!

Here's something I don't understand, although I won't dispute that can be successful: using a property manager. That's just another cost of the property. Doesn't that eat into your profit in a big way? I don't understand the mindset of buying property and not managing it yourself. I DO understand this if you find yourself an accidental landlord, that is a different scenario.

If you, the theoretical you, buy one rental unit yet pay someone to manage it--what are you really bringing to the table in this business deal? Besides the money to own the property, there is nothing else there if you don't manage it or do work yourself on the property. And if one is getting a mortgage on it, there is very little money invested. I know that the idea is "leveraging" the little bit of money used as a down payment, but I think that is not realistic for people who do not know the market, cannot do simple repairs and property maintenance, and cannot screen and install tenants.

Thread Information