Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much to you spend per year on haircuts?

Everyone is to be congratulated for being frugal. According to an article on Huff Po awhile back, "women can spend anywhere from $900-$10,000 a year on their hair." SHOCKING!

Nothing. I didn't cut my hair for about 5 years. Got a great cut from our neighbor, who is a hairstylist. She trims and colors dd's hair as needed, at our house. She also has trimmed and colored my granddaughters' hair. Doesn't charge us.

DH and I go to the same person every 6-8 weeks. Total for both of us: $34 plus $10 tip. Totally worth it for us as I'm vain and like to be well groomed.

I am almost a year into having dreadlocks and just looked back and saw I spent $452 last year getting this hairstyle started! I imagined it would be much cheaper to have my hair this way, but I guess it was not possible the first year when they are getting established. Last March I went in for the initial appointment, which was several hours long getting all the locks created. I had to go back a month later to get them tightened and preened, then again in the middle of the summer after my trip to the desert. The last time I went in was six months later (December). I needed them neatened up for a family wedding I was going to. So, yes, expensive the first year but I have saved a lot of time and hassle with daily haircare and saved a lot of money on hair products.

So now that the locks are quite firmly in place, I probably only need to go back once a year to get tightened and "reorganized." I really love this hairstyle; I think it really suits me! And my locks are getting so long! I have to tie them back for work; my bundle of braids is so thick I can barely get a large elastic hairband around them! And I have yet to find a winter hat that fits, so when I have to be out shoveling snow or something, I've just been wrapping a large scarf around my head. However, I do need to find some sort of straw cowboy hat-type thing for when I am in the desert next June.

About $15 on henna. $0 on cuts.

My hair doesn't thrill me, but I don't like it any better when I have it professionally serviced, I always come away feeling ugly and angry. This way I feel sort of unattractive and irritated, but at least I still have $20 (or $220, the cost of the last professional disaster) in my pocket.

We spend $20 every two years on hair. I cut my husband's hair, have him or a friend cut mine or I cut my own, then once every two years I have my hair permed and cut for $20 at a local public school occupational training center.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    $25 every 5-6 weeks, so $250 tops. Color at home $7 every 4-5 weeks, adding another $90.
    Same here. I have wavy hair and it took a long time to find someone good enough in the lower cost salons. Wavy is hard to cut. I was paying $45 and up before i found Judy.

I also leave with wet hair to avoid the dry and style fee.

OK, I'll admit to falling within the national average: $80 cut & color every 4 weeks.

Per my Quicken: in 2014 I spent $54.00 on haircuts. DH cuts (shaves) his own hair/head.

Quicken also says I spent $292.00 on what I call toiletries. Call 1/5 of that hair care. $60.00/year. So less than $120.00/yr. on hair care. I can live with that.

Right now I spend $0 because my coworkers at the salon cut it for me : ) Before that, I was spending $30 plus tip every eight weeks or so. My salon is pretty pricey with cuts going for $50. I'll buy my own color for about $6 and it lasts for two applications and someone will apply it for me (it's demipermanent color---when I need permanent I'll use organic, which is more expensive). My hair is really short so it needs to be totally cut at least every 6-8 weeks.

Thread Information