Thread: Very dark rinse blue jean - how to set the dye?

Very dark rinse blue jean - how to set the dye?

I've had a pair of very dark rinse blue jeans for a couple of months. I didn't realize the dye would come off on things like it has - such as my light colored car seat (it had a very faint blue tinge for a few days), the hem of light colored tops, etc. I've washed and dried the jeans multiple times, but the dye still transfers when rubbed against something.

Is there anything I can do to set the dye?

Thanks!

I've heard that if you add a cup of white vinegar to the wash, it would set the dye. And use cold water. But google it, just in case I'm not remembering right.

Professional dyers use a fixative like this one:
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/chemica...-fixative.html
    The fixative is cheap and DH's shipping charges are usually very reasonable. (I get dye and other supplies from them and have for over a decade.)

Perhaps your local artist supply store carries it. I would imagine a professional art store rather than a craft store would be more likely of have in stock.

White vinegar helps. Use hot water in all cycles: heat helps set the dye. Dry on hottest setting, too.

To get the bleed dye off your clothes' hems, etc, wash repeatedly in cold water only and dry on low or air.

Thread Information