Thread: Roasting and use of roasted garlic

Roasting and use of roasted garlic

I finally did it today! I have been growing my own garlic for a number of years but it always got too dry before I thought about oven-roasting the bulbs of garlic. I did it today and spread the innards of a whole but small bulb on a slice of bread, sprinkled some parmesan on the slice of bread and had this with some homemade soup. Tasty but not worth raving about. What would be a better way to use the remaining 7 bulbs that I have stored in the freezer?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Use them in any recipe calling for garlic.

I make roasted garlic pizza crust by adding the garlic to my pizza dough. Very good. One thing that I have noticed with garlic is that salt really brightens the garlic flavor. I noticed that you didn't list salt in your bread spread. Using salt with the roasted garlic might make the garlic taste more prominent.
    Mrs. Hermit

I haven't made it in quite a while, but I remember very fondly: roasted garlic mashed potatoes. OMG good.

^garlic mashed potatoes for sure!

add to a bechamel for a garlic cream sauce

garlic mixed with melted butter and olive oil (like for garlic bread) on pizza crust with chopped broccoli and cheddar cheese.

We use a LOT of roasted garlic. So much that we make a garlic confit. Super simple, if a little labor intensive, but the labor comes all in one shot at the beginning. We'll take a couple dozen heads, break them up, peel all the cloves then put them in a dutch oven and cover them with olive oil. Cover that and put it in the oven at about 250* for 90 minutes or until the cloves are all nice and soft and just turning darker. We put that in canning jars and store it in the basement fridge. It's great because you have the cloves ready to use AND you have a good supply of roasted garlic oil, too. It will easily last for a few months in the fridge.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Some really good ideas being shared. Thanks!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information