Thread: Power outage serves as a reminder

Power outage serves as a reminder

Earlier today, the university where I work had a complete power outage that lasted for about two hours. We realized how helpless we were without our business as usual situation. Auto toilets wouldn't flush, VOIP phones and computers didn't work, as well as all the usual things - heating, elevators, lights, door locks etc. Everything just shut down. The only thing that worked were some people's smart phones so that we could figure out what was happening. But imagine if those were cut off too. It was a good reminder for me that the things we take for granted can all disappear very quickly.

I know that! Our neighborhood has been having a few outages the last month, I found out my alarm will still go off however the clock conserves battery power and does not show me the time. I never thought about all the automatic bathroom functions. My dad gave me an awesome flashlight for Christmas, you can't always use the flashlight on your phone, and I have a fondue pot with sterno and a lighter for emergency tea (I had to get a lighter, duh)

Pinky, did anyone in the office at least have a flashlight?

No flashlights or candles. Just a few with lights on cell phone.

Use it as a wonderful wake-up opportunity for you pinkytoe. You have a baseline now to think about different situations and items you could procure to help you through them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    No flashlights or candles. Just a few with lights on cell phone.
    I can't imagine people would have candles in their offices, as it's prohibited many places. A flashlight, on the other hand, is very handy and can even be used when digging around under your desk to fiddle with computer cables and the like.

A Streamlight Microstream (takes 1 AAA battery) is inexpensive (under $20 on Amazon), can always be with you in a pocket, and very durable. I've put one of mine through the washer accidentally several times (it was left in a pocket), and it still works like a charm. Bae got one after several of us recommended them in another thread and loves it (he's Mr. Flashlight).

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66...ht+microstream

Go to Target or Walmart and spend $10 on a set of 2-3 LED flashlights. Scatter them around your workspace/department.

Yes, the flashlights are a good idea. Have them at home but not at work or in my car.

Also cash. One can use their cell phone as a calculator if needed (and they make both solar and other chargers for those), and cash registers can be manually opened.
    But I would really be shocked if those "auto" plumbing items, didn't still have handles.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    cash registers can be manually opened.
    I stopped at a McDonalds when the power was out. All I wanted was a soda and even though the register would open and the machine worked without power, the sales person said he could not help me as he couldn't punch the order button for the total cost. I said '$1.00 plus 6% tax is $1.06'.

Thread Information