Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honduras

I'm glad I have had a positive influence on folks' impression of Honduras. It is a beautiful country with wonderful people who went out of their way (mostly) to be helpful.

When you see statistics of crime in places, look to see who the majority of the victims are. In Honduras it is much more dangerous to be Honduran than American. It is more dangerous to be young and flashy and hang out in bars. I did not ever drink alcohol while alone in Honduras. Just being smart. The kidnappings are of rich or middle class Hondurans. They want ransom money and they don't want the US Embassy involved in any investigations. Mostly if you aren't flashy (alone on a street with a nice big DSLR camera taking awesome photos will get you relieved of your camera pretty quickly), aren't obnoxious, don't interfere with any locals in things that aren't your business, you will be fine. Not unlike a lot of places in the US. The Honduran experience with Americans is usually missionaries or US Military. Both want to bring money/medicine into the country. Tourism is a career track in schools there, and English is taught in a lot of schools as well. In Teguc in the areas where Americans hang out there will usually be someone around who speaks English. In the stores in the Metro Mall across from the IC there is usually at least one person who sorta speaks English, but don't stray too far from the basics subject at hand as the conversations may be very basic. Be willing to pay a reasonable price for what you want, and you will be shown a wonderful time (I'm thinking tours and such).

Copan was the place I couldn't remember the name of, so thanks for mentioning that Packratona! That is another place I didn't make it to. Well worth it from what I heard, but not really a day trip. Myan ruins, and interesting from what I heard. Closer than La Ceiba, if you only have one weekend it would be either/or.

This will give me an excuse to try to get in touch with my former neighbor. It was great when he moved into the apartment above mine as he could translate for me with the landlord/landlady. Cute story alert: I was at the Mall at the Dunkin Donuts buying some breakfast (they have a small sandwich there that they don't have here) and the people on the cash register don't speak English but are used to us Gringos just kind of pointing and trying to pronounce what we want and worked with me. I was doing my usual point and gesture and a small girl who was with her brother and mother next to me looked up and said 'I speak English'. Her older brother about 10yo turned and jumped to also be of assistance. It actually took longer and his translation of numbers for what I owed was incorrect, but it was worth it to give them practice and I appreciated their immediate willingness to help a foreign stranger. The busy cash register person took time for all this to transpire as well. In reality I went there every couple of weeks and they knew me and basically what I wanted, but it was fun to have the kids help.

As someone who didn't speak Spanish there, I had to turn loose of expectations of what might end up showing up when I ordered food. I could tell at times the waitperson would just bring me what they thought was close enough to what I struggled to ask for. Forget trying to order anything out of the usual way it is served. I did learn quickly how to order black coffee, though, in perfect(ish) Spanish. At the Tigo store I walked in and asked, in English, if anyone spoke it there. Twice customers stepped away from what they were ordering or doing and helped translate for me. I don't see this level of helpfulness here in the US for Spanish speakers who don't know English. Just sayin'. Again, this was in the area that has a lot of Americans around.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Now you are seeing why my co-workers' eyes glaze over when I say 'back when I was in Honduras...'

Another area that might be fun to explore is La Esperanza. Take the new highway to Siguatepeque and turn left. Really. La Esperanza is the agricultural area of Honduras and also where the indeginous Indians live. Copan isn't too far from there, relatively, but I don't think you want to take the direct road from La Esperanza there. The Japanese are supposedly making a lot of investments in the agriculture in the area, teaching the local people to farm efficiently so that Japan can import the produce. There is a big local market there that was fun to walk around. You can probably get the hotel to hire a taxi to take you there, but if you have a car it really isn't a difficult drive. I'm assuming now that you speak Spanish and are comfortable moving around in a Central American country from your comment about having a house in Mexico.

You can get a tour almost anywhere by asking the hotel to arrange a taxi tour. Another way might be to go to the 'taxi guy' standing at the doorway of the Metro Mall that faces the IC and ask him if he has a taxi driver who will take you to, say La Esperanza, for the day. They are more 'official' than the independants that hang out in the street between the hotel and the Mall and perhaps more safe, but more expensive. The most safe and expensive of course are the hotel taxis. Your own comfort level can guide you as to what your pocket book can handle. I used the independents for local stuff but most of their taxis I wouldn't trust to make it outside of the local area. Just remember, tourism of the area is something that everyone and their brother is part of, so you can get a tour to anyplace for some price. Busses run to all the outlying areas as well.

The only place I would tell you to be extremely careful is San Pedro Sula. I think it really is as dangerous there as the media portrays all of Honduras. Again, mostly Honduran on Honduran, but I never took the chance except the time I did take a bus there during the day to catch a plane as that airport is safer than the Teguc one as far as landing/takeoffs go. After that trip I just went to Teguc to fly in and out as they have extended the runway from the time all the stories about how dangerous it is are about. Daylight only in San Pedro Sula, and in and out as quickly as you can.

I'll stop now...
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thanks for your comments shadowmoss. Takes me back! Hondurans are indeed really great. I lived with a Honduran family for the 3 months or so that I lived there when I was 19. I really liked the Bay Islands especially and there are a number of Americans who have retired there.I do remember riding in the back of a pickup to San Pedro Sula and staying overnight with some family members, on the way to La Ceiba; it was a pretty sketchy place and I am sure even more so now.
    One thing that is a shock if you have never been exposed to that kind of environment is the poverty levels; all the beggars on the streets etc.

Thank you again, everyone. Shadowmoss, don't apologize, this is great! Just know that it's not a done deal yet, I probably won't know until a few weeks beforehand. ... One of the frustrating things about these "free" trips is that DH's plans could get yanked at any time up til he receives written confirmation. If I wait too long the plane fare can be eye popping - skipped going because I couldn't find anything under $1300 to Puerto Rico, ouch, but if I commit too early I may find myself going to Honduras alone.

Thread Information