Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift Suggestion

Gift Suggestion

I am traveling to Sicily for a 2 1/2 week vacation in May. I've formed light friendships via social media with a few people in the areas were I'll be traveling and hope to meet them when I go over. I'd like to give a small token gift that represents my state of Massachusetts.

I am asking for help in what that would be? What do people think of when they hear Massachusetts? I thought of Boston Strong buttons but that's a negative image and I'm uncomfortable with that. I thought of Salt Water Taffy from Cape Cod or maybe a small bottle of Maple Syrup.

I don't know what is unique to my area that's benign. Anything written in English is out so I cannot give a book by Thoreau. What, What What?
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

Had no idea marshmallow fluff was from MA. I'd go with the Maple Syrup or Taffy over a jar of fluff. Something cranberry?

This site may offer some ideas - I saw cranberry honey! Yumm! http://www.findgift.com/categories/r...massachusetts/
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Better check the food import laws at destination before you buy something you can't take and would be confiscated.

I'd go with the salt water taffy or maple sugar candy. In my experience in Turkey, no one knew what to do with maple syrup, because they don't necessarily eat pancakes and waffles.

Candy, on the other hand, seems to be pretty universal. And maple sugar candy has the advantage that it can't break in your suitcase and leak all over your clothes the way syrup could.

Hi Cypress, I'm from MA too, near the coast north of Boston, although I'm not sure what part of MA you are from. I think I would go with Harbor Sweets. There are certainly other great local chocolatiers, but I think the nautical motif of their chocolates gives them more of a sense of place. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. They do party favor type options, and I know my Mom often buys a bulk box without pretty packaging and makes up little packages herself for another more frugal option. I was thinking of something like this:
    http://www.harborsweets.com/product/...gs-bulk-favors

I like the suggestions for maple syrup, maple syrup candy, and salt water taffy. And I'll also throw out this idea: honey from a local beekeeper! Most people don't realize that honey comes in a wide array of varietals like fine wine does. The nectar sources available to bees in Massachusetts will be very different than what's available to honey bees in Sicily.
    The brain is wider than the sky. -- Emily Dickinson

We hosted a couple from Romania who were traveling very light, on motorcycles. As presents for people they met, they had taken a nice picture of themselves standing in front of some Romanian Important Building and had it turned into a fridge magnet. Thought that was really clever and we still have them up there, holding the cat vaccination schedule in place.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    We hosted a couple from Romania who were traveling very light, on motorcycles. As presents for people they met, they had taken a nice picture of themselves standing in front of some Romanian Important Building and had it turned into a fridge magnet. Thought that was really clever and we still have them up there, holding the cat vaccination schedule in place.
    what a good idea, i am struggling to think of ongoing gifts to my brother and family who lost their home in a fire 2 years ago. they have all the material stuff 100% replaced by nice and new, but the things like photos and magnets that you collect are a good idea.

What about something with the Red Sox? A patch maybe? Magnets?
    The maple syrup sounds like a potential mess in the suitcase and/or customs regs.

Cypress
    I've got nothing to add to your quest for pressies to take to Sicily...

But, when you are there, you must try the ice cream - cassata and the lemon water ices. The Sicilians proudly boast they introduced ice cream to Italy, via the Moors. All i know is that their ice cream is the best I've ever tasted.

Their lemons are HUGE, very knobbly and have loads of juice. Their lemonade is wonderful!

Thread Information