Thread: Blood Oranges!

Blood Oranges!

I just ate a blood orange, and it was exquisitely beautiful AND delicious AND healthy. What a wonderful thing! I think I had previously only had blood orange martinis, but they are great even without the martini!

I love the blood orange sherbert that they have at a buffet that I frequent.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

They are lovely...... Try them on this salad.

ORANGE CRANBERRY PECAN MIXED GREENS
    (serves 2)

1/4 c. + 1 T. orange juice (divided)
    1 T. olive oil [I use MCT coconut oil.]
    1 orange (remove peel and segment)
    2 T. dried cranberries
    2 c. mixed greens
    1/4 c. toasted pecans
    orange zest
    2 t. white wine vinegar

Bring 1/4 c. orange juice to a simmer and turn off heat. Stir in cranberries. Let sit 30-minutes. Drain and throw away juice. Whisk zest, oil, vinegar, and 1 T. orange juice together. Mix in cranberries. Dress greens with cranberries/dressing. Top salad with orange segments and pecans.

Lessisbest: That sounds wonderful! I've been look for ways to make salads more interesting to entice DH.

Blood oranges are wonderful, Here in the UK they have been rebranded (presumably to overcome the squeamishness of some) as Sanguinellos!

If you have not yet tried a blood orange, it is definitely not to be missed. You may find yourself falling in love with these sanguine beauties, both for their taste and unusual appearance. The Moro blood orange is typically available in the US from late December to April or early May.

Yea got a few blood oranges this week, I only regret not getting more. Also try cara cara oranges if you haven't' yet and can find them (they are at the farmer's market here in Cali). The blood oranges were not a hit with family members who complained about how other oranges were sweeter (bunch of sugar-holics there). But they have a nuanced complex taste, so I like blood oranges (I didn't' buy more because I couldn't even remember if I liked them.). Cara cara's are sweeter than blood oranges, I also prefer them to regular navels. The orange crop this year is phenomenal in terms of flavor, best tasting oranges I've ever had. I always thought oranges were kind of meh as a fruit (big fan of red grapefruit though), but this year's are great, they are making me an orange fan.

wikipedia says:
    Blood oranges have a unique flavor profile compared to other oranges, being distinctly raspberry-like in addition to the usual citrus notes.
    The flavor of Cara Cara is more complex than most navel varieties and has been described as evoking notes of cherry, rose petal, orange, and blackberry

oranges like a fine wine ... (but I don't think they get better with age ).
    Trees don't grow on money

I just discovered CaraCaras this year. They are a bit of heavenly sunshine in the dreary Mid Atlantic this month. Every morning I marvel at how that sunshine creates such a magical, juicy taste treat. I didn't enjoy the blood oranges- must be that sugarholic in me!

ANM: I like "a nuanced complex taste." That says it nicely. I am loving the CaraCaras too. I do eat a lot of sweets, but I love tart non-sweet things too, not everything has to be sweet to be good in my book. I'm crazy over grapefruit!

We have been eating the Mandaran oranges which are in season now too. They are so easy to peel and have that nice soft mild orange flavor. I t h ink I had a blood orange once but will have to branch out and try a few to see what they are like. That citrus salad sounds like it would make a great breakfast with a poppy-seed muffin....

Thanks lessisbest for that recipe, I have to write it down..

Thread Information