Thread: fixing dry cookie dough

fixing dry cookie dough

help? i made snickerdoodle cookie dough, which is tasty and my daughter's favorite. So i used whole wheat flour which is drier than white flour. if you have made these cookies you chill the dough and then form into balls that are rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. i am a little over halfway through the dough and it is not sticking into balls anymore. i could bake it into some kind of crumbly stuff on a pan just loose, not sure what i would use it for. or i could try adding a couple tablespoons of shortening to the dough and mixing well to use more of the dough.

i am putting the leftover dough into the fridge until inspiration comes.

This information may be too late for your cookies, but.... Flour is usually much drier in the winter than during humid months, therefore you may need to adjust hydration in recipes, or use a little less flour. Adding a little water to the cookie dough, OR adding less flour (save back 1/4 c. of the flour and add it if needed) is also a good idea. Adding more liquid NOW, after the dough has been refrigerated, isn't a good idea. The more you manipulate the dough the tougher the cookies will be because you will develop too much of the gluten protein in the flour. Flour measurements in any recipe are just a good (or bad) guess. Only by weighing flour on a scale will we get a consistent amount, and even then we need to adjust for the moisture level of the flour.

How do you measure the flour? Do you stir/fluff the flour before you measure? Do you fill the cup with a spoon and then level it off (the correct method) or do you dip, packing the flour into the cup, and level it off the side of the bag/container? As a test, try these different ways to measure a cup of flour, then weigh the measured amount on a scale and you will see how much different the measurements can be. You can pack in as much as 20% more flour by measuring it wrong. That's one way we can add too much flour.

If you are using a cookie recipe that was designed for all-purpose flour you will get different results by using all 100% whole wheat flour. The bran in whole wheat flour is like a "sponge" and really soaks up the hydration. Therefore, save back that 1/4-1/3 cup of flour and only add it if necessary to get the correct consistency.

If you have done a test, baking a few cookies, and it's still crumbly, I would pat the dough into a cake pan, sprinkle the top with cinnamon/sugar, and bake until the dough is set and slightly browned, and call them as Snickerdoodle Bars. Cool completely before cutting.

To increase your success using whole wheat flour in baked goods, choose recipes that are designed for whole wheat flour.

Thread Information