For less than £1 (I live in the UK), I make scrumptious, healthy, soft cheese (4 servings) and a really really yummy wholemeal bread. Here's the recipe for anyone interested:

(kefir grains are a simbiotic yest/bacteria organism that helps culture milk and that kefire owner will happily share with others for free, it lasts and grows forever if you treat it well)

Kefir and Kefir Cheese

First, you need to make kefir from milk; this is quite simple, place your kefir grains in milk and leave it to work its magic for up to 24 hours. You will find that the milk thickens up into a creamy yogurt drink consistency. I use approximately 12 grams of grains for one pint of milk, and in winter, it takes about 18 hours to get to the right consistency. You can drink it at this point, it is great in smoothies or on its own, full of pro-biotics and goodness… If you make too much, save the leftovers and proceed to make the 'cheese'.

Once you've cultured enough milk, strain it through a cheesecloth for about 12 hours (keep the strained whey for your bread). Empty the solids from the cloth into a bowl (you can eat at this stage also, mixed with honey and cinnamon, or fruits….); the inside will be a little softer, put a little salt, mix well, and place in another cheese cloth, in a form to shape it, and place a weight on top. You can place in the fridge or leave outside if your kitchen is not too hot. Strain in the form for a few hours, I leave my overnight in the fridge, and next day, you have a lovely, spreadable quark-like cheese, but full of the probiotics you'd have paid a lot of money for by buying 'designer' yogurts!

Wholemeal Bread

450g wholemeal flour
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ dried yeast
225 ml kefir whey

Mix the flour and salt first, then add the dried yeast and mix, pour in the whey, honey and sunflower and knead, until you feel the yeast starts to work on the flour and you get a springy elastic dough. Leave to prove for 1 hour / 1 h 30. Knock back and knead again for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with a little flour, wrap loosely in a clean cloth and place in the fridge, leaving to prove overnight.

Next morning, take the dough out, knead (it is going to be VERY hard at the beginning, as the dough is cold, but think of it as saving on a gym workout!) You will know the dough is ready when it feels elastic, warm-ish in your hands, and smells wonderful. Leave to prove in a loaf tin if you use one, or on a baking sheet, covered with the cloth, to avoid drying out - I leave mine to prove in an old cast iron pot.

When it has doubled in size, make a few cuts on the top, brush with either milk, or beaten egg, or simply salted water (each of these will give a different colour / type of crust) and place in very hot oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat (my oven highest setting is 7, so I lower to 5) and leave to bake for another 25 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven.

Enjoy!!! For under one pound, you have 4 servings of cheese, and enough bread for a week (if you can resist!) for under £0.50