Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: April Spring Cleaning Challenge

I'm afraid I'll make this my summer goal when it is too HOT in central Texas to be outside much. Right now I have to take advantage of early nice spring day outdoors. I'll be reading your updates here to help me in my summer cleaning.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Have any of you ever used "organized home" website? for you who love a good "to do" list, this site provides spring cleaning list for every room in your home, they also do a winter one for Christmas. You make a notebook and put in the pages you need. I'm a list freak so it was perfect for me, I love a good check list.
    Mrs. B

Mrs. B I will have to check that out!

I am feeling better and about ready to get started! I'm feeling kind of inspired by a post I read the other day on our own Miss Minimalist's blog. I'll admit that I've never thought of myself as a minimalist, but the way she describes it, I think it may be what I am aiming for in an unlikely way.

So anyway, I'm on a tear right now to get rid of stuff and clean. The night before I went to the hospital to have baby T I seriously decluttered the girls room. Seriously. It was the kind of hormone driven brutality I don't think I could have mustered any other way. The result? The kiddos are THRILLED with their room now. I have not stepped foot in it for a full week and it is still clean. They've been taking their friends up there and showing them how nice it is. This doesn't surprise me at all about Cheyenne, who once told me how much she loves toilet bowl cleaner because "it just makes the toilets so very sparkly" but it floors me about Bella. They've argued less, whined less and spent more time in their room playing.

My three tough areas are these. 1) Books 2) Homeschool stuff/craft stuff and 3) Stuff that used to belong to my mom or grandma and I'm scared to get rid of for fear of starting a fight.

The homeschool stuff I don't really want to declutter, but I do need to find more space for storing it. The books....I love books. That said I either need another book shelf or I need to get rid of some. The third category I am mostly over, but there are a few holdouts. My mom's good dishes. Never use them. Never. Those are actually important to my dad, though, and he lives here too, so I'm probably going to compromise on that.

Oh I cannot wait to get this place deeply cleaned and decluttered. It's probably going to take a while with all the little kids running around. I'm going to do 15 minute pushes twice a day and one big push a week. I think that will add up. When Zach is off of school in 5 weeks we'll really dive in.
    My blog: www.sunnysideuplife.blogspot.com

Guess why I smile? Because it's worth it. -Marcel the Shell with Shoes

Oh, I love organizedhome.com. So many great ideas--very inspiring!

Today DH helped me switch out seasonal linens in our bedroom. It is 82 degrees today--time for something lighter. We switched out our curtains, too, to some airy-er ones we had sitting around. DH took out the old side table he had been using as a nightstand and brought the nightstand that matches mine up from the downstairs. We had been using it as an entryway table, and it always kind of bugged me that we had a matching nightstand but weren't using it LOL Anyway, the space looks so nice right now. We didn't spend any money except on a couple of cheapy table lamps and some flowers for the dresser. I'm not going to quibble about that. DH didn't have a lamp and mine had been broken and reglued so many times it was borderline silly :p And the flowers, well...they make me happy! :-) Tomorrow I will do an actual cleaning--dusting, vacuuming, windows, etc.--and spray down the linens with some nice linen spray I found at the dollar store awhile back (smells so nice!).

I am thinking that I can get started on my bathroom, too. I need to purge some items in there and give it a good scrub down. I really should touch up the paint in a couple of areas, too, and ask DH to recaulk the tub. I've been thinking of putting a shelf in there with a few accessories to pretty it up a bit. I'm thinking some printable art from the graphic fairy and a glass hurricane with some pretty soaps or something like that. If I can find a nice shelf at Goodwill or on sale, it shouldn't cost very much at all (I can accessorize with what I have sitting around).

Oh, and I forgot to post it here, but I did some major decluttering/shredding in our home office last week. So maybe I can work out a plan for cleaning that room, too.

Mrs-M
    Two evenings ago I tackled my pantry! Ugh! What a chore! But as always, I feel a whole lot better now knowing (and seeing) it's all clean and organized. I now have a dedicated section for all my teas too! No more hunting and searching.

I managed to get #1 on my list done this past week.....laundry room completely cleaned out.....appliances moved and cleaned under and behind. Ceiling paited, walls paited. Oh, the joy of of new paint smell. Not kidding, I really like it and the clean walls are wonderful!

I deep cleaned the bathroom last night. I still have to the floor, and I need to get the vent and the fan, too. Those will have to wait until later as I need DH's help getting them off.

Today I will finish the floor and start working on the master bedroom. It is mostly picked up, but I haven't given it a good clean inawhile (i.e. dusting, vacuuming, etc.)

I only have two jobs left:

1. recycling papers and cardboard from two small baskets (DH's drop baskets) and one closet;
    2. recycling cardboard and reorganizing the office/storage in our offices.

Oh, and 3. finishing transitioning to our new accounting system. I admit, I keep putting it off. I do believe that I will get it done tomorrow (the papers/cardboard will wait until Monday). Wait, that will be May 2.

Thread Information