Thread: i went to a meet-up of similar types

i went to a meet-up of similar types

the type is Highly Sensitive People (HSP) for those of us with oversensitive nervous systems. the organizer joked that she was surprised people like us came to a meet-up, which of course includes being around new people. it was really nice, i have known about the HSP set of traits for a long time, out of the 10 questions i scored 11 (yes that is a joke).

we talked about how to take care of ourselves and just got to know each other. it may be an ongoing group but this was one class on self care. i felt pretty good that i have developed some skills around that, i really wanted to connect to other people who are similar and not have to explain everything. i usually just expect my circuits to get a little blown in social situations and then i have an extended recovery in introvert mode. one of the most refreshing things was to have a conversation about how to handle when you are affected by other people's emotions deeply, more than the simple 'get a thicker skin' advice that isn't effective for me. Not so much that i got a perfect answer, but that i had the chance to participate in the conversation. okay the organizers are not perfect, totally into angels and new agey but with such good intentions.

i know there are plenty of people here who are HSP types and i thought i would share.

Someone sent me this the other day.

I love it!

They say Hyper-reactive people (I refuse to use the HSP label, as it conjures up a shriveling ninny for me) served their tribes well back in the day by being constantly on the alert for danger. They used to be called "high strung."

ha, my daughter just posted that t-shirt on Facebook!

jane, i understand. i always want to explain HSP because it sounds like we are sensitive and others are clods, not true, we just react to a lot that others would never notice. Also the shriveling ninny! i am a fierce and strong and boundary-comfortable HSP. Sometimes the boundaries are a bit strong but i have learned more and more to express myself more clearly around that and minimize the negative impact.

i have had very few positives that were expressed to me for this set of traits, however people seem to respond and i KNOW it serves an important function. in a more negative sense i was an emotional sponge in my family. i absorbed and worked out the sh** that others could not. no surprise i was the punk kid, smoking, cutting, etc. then i left for college and it seemed the family went through managing how to function without someone to suck up and transmute to the best of my ability. i learned some techniques early on for survival but what joy it would have been to have names and value to this!!

i think my mom gets it more and more, she offers financial support and i have decided to accept it gracefully in the spirit of how we used to support the people doing the spiritual study and personal work to improve everything.

I have that emotional sponginess too. I limit my time around depressives, malcontents, whiners, s**t-stirrers, and haters for that reason. I'm glad I didn't take that social work job in Coos Bay...

Thread Information