Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purge 2015 March Declutter or 100 Item

Purge 2015 March Declutter or 100 Item

Another month for us to chart what we decide we don't want in our lives.

The more you have, the more you are occupied. The less you have, the more free you are. - Mother Teresa

I think I'll try to start adding in a few clutter/simplicity quotes as we go along.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

What a great quote by Mother Theresa. That is exactly how I feel, always straightening and cleaning and organizing the damned STUFF.

Our friend keeps saying that we should build a 3 season porch, and my response is hell no. I love my patio with no walls or roof because wHen there are no walls or roof, that other housekeeper, Mother Nature, takes care of it. Cleaning the patio is HER responsibility. Sure DH does leaf cleanup a couple times each year and we pull weeds in the cracks of the bricks, but in the main, I enjoy the space and do not dust it.

Ali

Ooohhh .... Shiny new thread :-) I've been getting things together for a fundraising jumble sale for a local charity .... So into the charity bag today, three pairs of jeans, all the rubber stamps I don't use, some old games and some books. Plus, I made the Mr go through the computer "stuff" that he has accumulated and a load of that went in the trash ....

edited to add .... I also turned a pile of costume jewellery (my nan's and my mum's) into a heart shaped picture so more sentimental stuff where I can enjoy it ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ali; 3-1-15 at 2:06pm.

That turned out really well, Ali. Be sure to write up a provenance and include it somewhere in or on the collage, for future reference.

Ali, that's lovely!

All I purged today was the food my son left with and a lot of digital pictures - well over 100. But they don't take up space.

We've just been uploading everything from the camera for 15 years and today dh said " you know, there's a good chance we could lose these. You need to edit them down and print them out or move them somewhere else.". So this week step 1 is "delete unwanted photos". He says I can have $500 for step 2. Currently there are 12,786 photos left (down about 10% but I'm not done), so unless somebody knows where I can get prints for 4 cents each....

I'm a little frustrated that I'm about to have more physical things, but I don't want to lose my photos, so I at least need them on CD or something - ideas?

Chicken Lady, I'd get a small external drive to store them on (like a flashdrive only bigger, about 1"x4"x5", $75 or so, "Passport" is one), and then maybe back them up online. Printing 12,000 pictures and storing them in albums sounds like my idea of hell!

A gal here in town has a nice business running consignment sales a couple of times a year. I signed up this time. I've tagged almost 90 items! I keep finding more and more. You have the option of noting that the item can be discounted the last day of the sale and donated if it doesn't sell. You get 70% of the sale price and that can increase if you volunteer for the sale. I'll see how it goes. Looking forward to getting the stuff out of the house and maybe making some bank, too.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That turned out really well, Ali. Be sure to write up a provenance and include it somewhere in or on the collage, for future reference.
    That's a great idea! This piece of art with family jewels will be even more value to whoever gets it with this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    ... but I don't want to lose my photos, so I at least need them on CD or something - ideas?
    This many photos can't be useful for browsing, can it? Musing here, I can't see how one could use that many. If you make digital copies, you can share with everyone in your family.

The kindest thing you can do for you children is to pick out the best images, label them with the date of the image and a note about contents (who are the people in the image? where was it taken. What was the occasion?) Copy them in digital form for all of your kids to have.

You can't imagine the number of people who have come on this site over the years talking about how they need to organize their photos into albums, and people seldom do that because it's a daunting, and hugely boring task. Having had to do that with my mother's boxes of unlabeled photos after she was dead, and she wasn't around to tell me which ancient relative was who--I can assure you that the labels are far more important than having 32 fuzzy images of essentially the same event.

Ali
    Yesterday I sold a radiator to myneighbour, it had never been used and had sat in my garage for over two years.

Thread Information