Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: acid issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    i wonder if i need to see a Dr, i am notoriously bad at figuring this out i think. So i started taking acid reducing medicine. it was a combination of feeling food kinda back up and an apparent connection to my asthma symptoms. so i have been taking it 1-2 times a day. right now i had acid come up and burn my throat, it has been hurting awhile and finally calmed down. do you see dr's for this? Can i just keep working with different acid meds on my own? that is what the dr is likely to do anyway, i really hate going in and getting that look that says i was super sensitive and there is not a real good reason to go in.
    go low carb and sleep on your left side.............

It's hard to differentiate between the effects of gluten and carbs in general (at least for me). But I do know that bread seems to be the worst offender, giving me reflux.
    I bought some gluten-free noodles once, when I was avoiding gluten, but they made me horribly hot after eating them......which told me I'm responding to the carbs in general.
    Just curious if most people with bad reflux tend to be blood type O's? (Going on the theory that the earliest blood type might tolerate grains the least).

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I'm going to order those books. There is a history of esophagus issues including cancer caused by acid reflux on my husband's side of the family and one of our boys is having lots of acid reflux problems, including painful, horrible hiccups that last for hours and he can't sleep. I don't know if gallbladder ties into it or not but every man in that family has had to have gallbladder removed.
    Yes, gallbladder is included. It's a near-and-dear subject since I had mine removed last July and am suffering the consequences (Dumping Syndrome). Mine was so bad the 30-minute surgery took 2-hours and two days in the hospital. The book I suggested above includes gallbladder information, and believe it or not, gluten is yet one more related issue with gallbladder. Wish I would have eliminated gluten years ago! I can see the results of many diseases and conditions all related to gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    It's hard to differentiate between the effects of gluten and carbs in general (at least for me). But I do know that bread seems to be the worst offender, giving me reflux.
    I bought some gluten-free noodles once, when I was avoiding gluten, but they made me horribly hot after eating them......which told me I'm responding to the carbs in general.
    Just curious if most people with bad reflux tend to be blood type O's? (Going on the theory that the earliest blood type might tolerate grains the least).
    Carbohydrates are also associated as you've experienced. That's why many people who go gluten-free and continue to consume all the high-carb gluten-free foods, still have gut challenges. I have been on a low-glycemic diet since 1998 (eating foods primarily on the lower half of the GI Index), and now I've eliminated foods high in fructans to help protect my liver now that I don't have a gallbladder.

Another cause of GERD can be consuming liquids during meals. If one has low-acid, liquids dilute it and the necessary enzymes, which compounds the problem.

It's really not a simple problem with a simple solution, and you have to do a lot of study and detective work.

Quote Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
    Mine (gallbladder) was so bad the 30-minute surgery took 2-hours and two days in the hospital.
    I hear you on that, my DH's was so rock hard it had to be chipped into pieces to remove it and he was in the hospital 5 days total.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Agreeing with those who point to carbohydrates, including gluten grains. Relief from GERD is almost immediate when people switch to a LCHF diet. A side benefit is that the same diet reduces fluid retention and midsection bloat.

I have recently had a recurring bout with what feels like gastroparesis. I've looked into the low-acid thing and think what Lessisbest says is relevant. If you're stomach acid is on the lower side, drinking fluid just dilutes what you already don't have much of.
    I've read that if your stomach isn't beginning to decompose the food, the pyloric sphincter refuses to open...........realizing that undigested food isn't good for the rest of the tract. Then the food in your stomach turns into the black lagoon, putting out lots of gas.
    I struggle with not drinking every few bites. I guess it's a bad habit I have.

What's unfortunate, is that there's hardly a doc out there who believes in low stomach acid.

Question: Can we add to the stomach acid that might be missing, by drinking an acid (vinegar) during the meal?
    I guess acid isn't the only thing in the stomach.......you need the digestive enzymes too, right?
    I hope I get a better GI tract in my next life. I really think it was the months and months I was on antibiotics in my earlier years.
    I've tried drinking a vinegar solution with meals. It might work great for the stomach.............the the lower intestine doesn't like it at all!

Here's a recipe for a digestif and all-purpose elixir that might help with digestive issues:

http://www.diynatural.com/fire-cider/

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Here's a recipe for a digestif and all-purpose elixir that might help with digestive issues:

http://www.diynatural.com/fire-cider/
    If a person taking the "Fire Cider" elixir happens to have digestive issues related to high-FODMAP foods, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), suffers from a gastrointestinal infection, are on a Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), have fructose malabsorption, issues with fructans, Dumping Syndrome, or a stomach ulcer, this concoction would cause you all kinds of problems because most of the ingredients are eliminated from diets of those suffering those conditions. It's never as simple as it looks. There are so many issues where the symptom is acid reflux. You treat the symptom, but not the problem. Treat the underlying problem, and the symptom goes away.

re blood types: O is not the oldest blood type. Chimpanzees and gorillas have the same range of blood types as humans, even though their blood is slightly different. This suggests that all human blood types are equally old, and that differences in frequency in specific population groups arise from genetic drift, founder effect, and population circumscription.

The factor that really does influence ability to handle grains (and other starches) is the number of copies of the salivary amylase 1 gene. Individuals with 10 or more copies do pretty well on high-starch diets, while those with only 2 copies (same as chimpanzees) or 4, are better off with very low dietary starch intake. Grains have other effects than those caused by their very high starch content - like trypsin inhibition, which prevents digestion of the small amount of protein in the grain, as well as other dietary proteins.

Thread Information