Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea vegetables, anyone?

The little Japanese takeout place near our house has seaweed salad which is quite tasty. Kind of vinegary. When I was concerned about iodine some years ago, I found a product from the Maine coast which was powdered seaweed to shake on your food instead of salt.

I'm discovering that reconstituted hijiki, at least, blends seamlessly into any savory meal with several ingredients--mixed green salad, for instance.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm including a link about arsenic in sea vegetables. They don't recommend hijiki because it has the highest levels of toxicity.

Hmm, maybe that's why I can't find it anyplace, Jane.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The little Japanese takeout place near our house has seaweed salad which is quite tasty. Kind of vinegary. When I was concerned about iodine some years ago, I found a product from the Maine coast which was powdered seaweed to shake on your food instead of salt.
    My vegetarian daughter used to eat seaweed salad voraciously until I pointed out the ingredients on the label to her. She went quite pale when she realized that part of the reason it may have been so delicious was because it was made with jellyfish (a common ingredient in many but not all seaweed salads.)

I used to spend a lot of time as a child on the NE coast of Scotland where dulse was added to the pan after frying bacon for breakfast, and also added to tattie scones to add a 'vegetable' to a Scottish fried breakfast.

You can get some sea vegetables that grow off the Maine coast that are labeled "organic" Don't know how they certify that. I'll take my chances with the hijiki I have. If i suddenly stop posting...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog Lin View Post
    We stayed at a Japanese-businessman's-oriented hotel while in Los Angeles 2 years ago. Breakfast was included in the daily rate, you could choose the American-style or Japanese-style, and we availed ourselves of it our last morning. I was in an adventuresome mood so I had the Japanese-style, which included (if memory serves) 4 different types of sea vegetables.
    Many years ago, XW and I traveled to Japan and stayed in a "serusuman hoteru" (businessman's hotel). We were on our own for breakfast, so we ended up at the Japan Railways station on our way elsewhere in Tokyo. I had the Japanese breakfast, which was congee -- a kind of rice porridge -- with (cooked) fish and, presumably, some sea vegetables, though I don't recall them now. Not bad, though I didn't expect any more than I would from a kiosk at Grand Central Station.

XW had the "American" breakfast. The wax replica looked like a fairly standard eggs sunny-side-up, toast, and bacon. The eggs were cooked, but they were pulled out of the refrigerator and plopped on her plate (who knew they were to be served hot?). The "bacon" was something highly processed, like Sizzlean. And the "toast" was half a hot-dog bun, with nary a scorch mark in sight.

I'd say I got the better of that breakfast! I can only imagine, though, what a Japanese traveler in the U.S. would encounter if (s)he insisted on eating natively during his/her visit. I can just hear the short-order cook at Denny's now...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

how relevant. i take an 11 month online vegan nutrition course, and today it was about sea vegetables. A lot to learn. The instructor did say that she tends to stay away from the stuff unless it comes from a well known or reputable dealer. Some of it is pretty bad as you don't know where it was harvested or the conditions in the area.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I remember when I was in college there was a Korean guy two doors down from me in the dorms that ate seaweed - dried and thin out of a plastic wrapped package. I was curious once and asked him if I could try it and it wasn't bad at all! I was surprised. I now live not too far away from an Asian market and there are all kinds of seaweed available there. I have thought of trying some as I have a copy of Asian Health Secrets by Letha Hadady and something she recommends is incorporating some of these seaweeds into your diet.

The one thing that holds me back is that I worry about how polluted the oceans are worldwide now. So here's my question - is that a valid concern or should I just buy the seaweed if I want to try it out? What do you'all think? Rob

Thread Information