Thread: Pizza - NYC a dollar slice at a time

Pizza - NYC a dollar slice at a time

I came across this this morning
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6809486.html

I know pizza has been a hot topic around here lately.
    What a service this guy is providing! I'd definitely check out his site to find the best cheap slice nearby.
    Cheap eats are the only way to go when tromping around sightseeing all day, especially if you have rug rats in tow, unless you just have money to burn and want to burn it that way.

I like what he has to say about the value of free time in the clip... that was unexpected. I feel just about the same way.
    Who knew a dollar slice could lead to freedom?

I saw this video http://www.upworthy.com/a-customer-w...e-post-it-note the other day. Sparked my interest since his pizza shop is in Philly. His shop is based on the NYC dollar slice pizza places. I'm wondering if it's near the convention center. I would see the same homeless people there several years in a row. I would of paid for a few slices every day.
    Last edited by Float On; 3-6-15 at 1:29pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
    I came across this this morning
    [video]
    What a service this guy is providing! I'd definitely check out his site to find the best cheap slice nearby.
    MMmmm, pizza. I must be missing something, though, bc the link in the article only went to his instagram page, which doesn't let you sort at all. I'd be interested in seeing his reviews in map form.

For my money, though, whenever I get to go back to NY, I visit John's of Bleecker for my favorite NY pizza. They don't sell by the slice, only full pies and only cash. But my kids and I will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    MMmmm, pizza. I must be missing something, though, bc the link in the article only went to his instagram page, which doesn't let you sort at all. I'd be interested in seeing his reviews in map form.
    Nope, I don't think you're missing anything. I just read the article, didn't click through to his instagram page.
    that's a bummer. Surely someone will take that info and index it to make it easier to use.

On the F-book group for that littlebitty insignificant town waaaay up north in the middle o' nowhere, guess what the current topics are? Okay: They have had a river bridge crossing closed for almost a year now, while being replaced. The old one, was concrete, with a steel frame & wasbuilt in 1919,when it was the main highway and passed through the business district. For the last 60 years, the bridge was just a short cut, out to the highways that all but bypassed the town. There are also a 5 or 6 other alternate routes "downtown", so it's really not a big deal, even if it is to them. I call it the "Bridge To Nowhere". Ha. The structure had "spalling", or small chunks falling out occasionally. It's Pretty normal in climates where you are dumping salt on it all winter long. But, this caused a "Chicken Little" effect, and it was deemed a necessity to replace it. The wrecking crew, come demolition day, spent a world of time, for days on end, beating it, and beating it, and beating it and beating it with wrecking balls, in order to get that little ol' 150' long bridge to collapse! There are numerous alternate routes to the old downtown area, which like most retail in small communities has fizzled. But, the posters were whining: "Why can't it be like it used to be, again?" Okay, then, they were commenting about how THE VERY BEST PIZZA IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD comes from a local place, Papa Cardiolardo's' Authentic Italian Pizza, which for the last half-century has been owned by the Johnson Family. The names have been changed to protect the guilty, btw., but are similar. Anyway, those very provincial people were going on with: WE EAT PIZZA EVERY DAY AT PAPA CARDIOLARDO'S AUTHENTIC ITALIAN PIZZA!!! I recall thinking that back in the 70's, during the oil embargo, business must have been tough, because GREASE is a primary ingredient of their pizza, or any other food served at establishments in that community. Also, in other news: the local Meat Locker there burned down!!! This puts "lockered beef" in short supply. Hopefully, yobama(specifically 'chelle, whom they all hate), will send in a few hundred semi-truckloads of Meat, to provide disaster assistance, so the multimillionaire farmers' families don't go hungry this winter. They need big, thick, juicy steaks EVERY DAY, so they don't get skinny and weak! The thing is, about that littlebitty insignificant town waaaay up north, is that--besides Papa Cardiolardo's, there are at least a half-dozen other places that serve PIZZA, piled high with yummy ooooeeey-goooey cheeeese and they don't skimp on the MEAT, either. There prolly is at least a pound of ground sausage in every slice! Hope that helps you kids, some. Thankk Mee.
    Last edited by Packy; 3-20-15 at 5:08am.

I love the dollar pizza concept. And love the story about the guy in Philly helping feed the homeless.

I can tell you kids something else: That "Dollar-A-Slice Pizza" has got to be a marketing ploy, pure and simple. Yeah--maybe they actually have a slice of something they call pizza for $1. But Okay--You want savory Italian herb tomato sauce? That's $2 extra. You want a nice thick layer of seasoned Italian sausage? That'll be $4 extra. You want it piled HIGH with yummy, oooooey-goooey Mozzzzarellla Cheeeeeese? That'll be $4 extra. You want some aged romano & parmesan sprinkle-on? $3 extra. You want it heated up, piping hot? That'll be $4 extra. See how that works? It's Noo Yawk Sitty& Fillydelfia, PA., kids! Nothings cheap there, not even the time of day from a passerby. I think we've debunked this rumor. Next caller, please.

Thread Information