Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for tips: Western Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A trip through the gorge, maybe to Hood River--stopping at Multnomah Falls would be nice. Yachats (my ancestral home, more or less) is far to the south of some of the prettiest views. I'd start a coastal trip at Astoria or Seaside. Cannon Beach is a fun, artsy little village.

IrisLily, you would have been happiest driving through neighborhoods like the West Hills, Alameda, Laurelhurst, Irvington--lovely, lovely houses there.
    hmmm, "Irvington" rings a bell with me. I stayed in a B & B in Portland when I was last there. Perhaps it was in that neighborhood. The B & B was a circa 1915 house. It was nice enough, but the great things were the furnishings. The owners also were professional upholsterers, so headboards, chairs, dressing tables etc--everything had professional fabric coverings. I loved that, and cannot live like that because of pets hair and other pet damage.

Tell me what you like and I'll tell you where to go
    I like wineries, cideries and breweries and I know there are plenty of those. I want to visit a hazelnut farm. I'd like to see the coast. I'm not typically a city girl but from what I hear of Portland, it'd be more to my liking than a typical city. I like food, particularly small artisans (chocolate, cheese, patisseries). I would like to maybe do some hiking, near a waterfall would be perfect. Maybe we'll rent bikes one day and do a winery to winery tour or something like that.

When we did a trip to Washington a number of years ago, we liked the Olympic peninsula and small towns and off-the-beaten-track stuff, much better than we liked Seattle (but I did like the Public Market).

Drop me a line if you make it to Eugene:-)

Hey, cool! We lived in Oregon (Medford) many years ago and loved the (relatively) easy access to the Ocean, so spent lots of time up and down the coast. Yum! AND, as a matter of fact, we were JUST talking about making a trip there this spring, and staying at Ocean Haven! Wow, cool! Great minds think alike! We've never stayed there before, but we love the Oregon coast (and the Washington coast and Far Northern California coast) but we haven't had a relaxing trip back since we moved to Idaho nine ears ago. Idaho is wonderful, in it's own special way , but sometimes our hearts dream of escaping back to Oregon or Washington. We're thinking Eugene area ... but likely more expensive than Idaho. {sigh}

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    hmmm, "Irvington" rings a bell with me. I stayed in a B & B in Portland when I was last there. Perhaps it was in that neighborhood. The B & B was a circa 1915 house. It was nice enough, but the great things were the furnishings. The owners also were professional upholsterers, so headboards, chairs, dressing tables etc--everything had professional fabric coverings. I loved that, and cannot live like that because of pets hair and other pet damage.
    Irvington is where I grew up; it's a little tonier than it was, as city housing becomes ever more unaffordable. I still have friends there. It's great for Grimm backdrops...

(And I had relatives with a filbert (hazelnut) farm. At Christmas, they sent us bags full of culls..)

Thread Information