Thread: if you need nice nails

if you need nice nails

i am trying something new that is healthier for my nails. My oldest DD is selling jamberry nail products so she came over and put some on me. they are basically vinyl nail covers with some adhesive. you heat them with a warmer or a hair dryer and press them on your nails. they take a bit of work to smooth out and trim or file, but honestly not any more than a nail polishing session if you use the base and color and top coat to do a nice job. these have the cutest designs on them! i used the sample pack and so each nail is different right now, polka dots, stripes, florals, etc. i will switch to a basic french tip before my next professional event but this is fun. i could even get ones designed for my college if i was so inclined. they also have matching mommy/daughter (or son, let's not be limited) sets. i used to love having nail sessions with my mom and sister.

i want/need nice nails to look professional in some areas. My nails by themselves crack and rip very easily so plain natural nails have not worked out well. i usually have fake nails during the winter when it is worse and take them off for gardening. season. if i do nail polish it lasts 2-3 days looking good. these nail covers felt good when i was growing out my damaged nails from the fake ones because they covered and protected my damaged nails. they didn't stay on as well then, this set that my daughter put on tuesday night and they are still good. i trim a little or file a rough edge. they should last 2 weeks, i will be happy with anything over 1 week especially if it looks nice and does not distract me. there appears to be NO WAY i can bite my nails with these on,

this is not intended as a sales pitch, but just a new option for people who are interested,

Zoe Girl, I am happy that your daughter's new product has worked so well for you. And I truly intend no judgment values here, but wanted to put out there something to consider.....

Have you ever tried to just get used to nice clean short nails? Like you, I have soft nails that crack and rip easily (been saying for years I need to start a daily gelatin regimen, still haven't done it.) And my job for 32 years involved dealing with the public with my hands, so my hands and nails were always "out there" for the world to see. I felt like I needed nice professional nails, but trying to keep them finally just got too much of a hassle and too expensive to maintain.

I just changed my mindset and decided that nice CLEAN FILED shorter nails were good enough. Really, who is going to change their opinion of you based on long painted nails vs. short nice natural ones? It's not the world out there noticing your nails, it's you. Short and clean and pretty (with just an occasional clear strengthening hard-coat maybe?) might be a way to go.

Well, something to consider anyway.

my nails actually are short even when i have fake ones, without something over them they tend to break and then i bite them and often they are down to the point they bleed and that looks terrible. i have had plain nails overall for years, i just got tired of working with them and trying vitamins and lotions and all that.

it helps my confidence a little. i have spent so many years with kids and at home and doing childcare, guess i was all-natural girl before doing hair and nails and having fun with clothes the last couple years.

I understand - if it helps your confidence then it's worth your hassle. (and for the record, I realized that I have toenails that I have a hard time showing in public due to my "issues" with them - so who am I to be talking?!)

Ali
    I've used something similar on my toenails and they were great! (I think they last longer on your toes as they don't spend as much time in the water as your fingers.) I also have "false" fingernails, acrylics which I have done every three weeks - sometimes I go for a simple french polish, sometimes something a bit different. I love them!

The poor condition of your nails can mean poor nutrition and also some disease conditions. Have you ever noticed how doctors will look at your fingernails? They tell a lot about a persons general health. You may want to do some research on the topic and see if you can improve the condition that way. Biotin is a common nutritional supplement that supports hair, skin and nails and is an inexpensive supplement to try. http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...strengthening/

yes blacked, i lived in boulder for many years and was a SAHM for more years, i realized i was attached to some kind of purity with no makeup, fancy hair, fancy nail deal. i felt so bad when i did these things like i was letting down hippy feminists! but honestly it is fun and often we like to dress up and have fun. As long as it is fun or pretty obvious that it is a work standard then i will do it. just not take it too seriously.

they are still on solidly at a week, the nails of course grow out so i probably won't go the full 2 weeks but i could. i really like that at the end my nails are not damaged by what i did to make them look nice, and i can take them off anytime.

I've heard of those vinyls and wondered if it would weaken the nails more. I've got the short nail bed, thin, easy to rip or break nail thing going on too. When I have polish on I constantly pick at it so nail polish is a daily thing for me. Light sheer colors seem to work best. I don't pick/peel those as often. So just a couple weeks ago I decluttered every dark polish I had. Already can tell that just by doing that and taking a hair/nail/skin vitamin I've had improvements in the strength of my nails. I've never ever had a manicure in a salon. I always thought I needed all nails about the same length before I do that. Its a treat I'd like to give myself this year. I've been watching a lot of nail care videos on youtube (some of them I think are on there for nail fetishes - creepy).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

i have not had my nails weakened at all, you do need to take them off with nail polish, remover my daughter said that if you just rip them off without nail polish remover then it can damage your nails. it seems there are no chemicals soaking into the nail with this process like even nail polish. the jam berry company also has different oils and vitamins to build nail health, i know there are many options for those at the health food stores as well. i will let you know when i change mine sometime this week if i see any damage, i am going to take them off, wait a couple days and then put on new ones so i should be able to see.

Thread Information