Thread: Anyone have abdominal adhesions?

Anyone have abdominal adhesions?

I've had IBS for about 20 years. I'm used to lots of funky GI problems, unfortunately.
    Lately, I have what seems to be gastroparesis with horrible bloating and inconsistent GI motility. Not really much pain.
    Then I got to thinking..........I had a laparoscopic appendectomy in July. I've read that adhesions from abdominal surgery can happen months, even years later.
    So now I'm wondering if that's what's going on with me now.
    Just curious if anyone else has abdominal adhesions, and what your main symptoms are?
    Thanks.

I don't but my m-i-l does - apparently from a hysterectomy she had many years ago. At least this is what she has been told all these years. Hers starts with abdominal cramping and pain so severe that she has to be hospitalized and given narcotic to relax. She has learned to mostly avoid it by doing stomach massage taught to her by Chinese practitioner when she feels it coming on and avoiding certain foods.

That's interesting pinkytoe. I've been reading about stomach/abdominal massage. I guess I never thought about it's usefulness......but it is.

My Mom had adhesions due to a hysterectomy she had several years earlier. For her it caused severe constipation and pain.

I had abdominal adhesions. My uterus collapsed after my son was born, and stuck to everything. I had surgery to free everything up, and then later I had a hysterectomy. The adhesions caused me severe pain. I didn't realize till after the surgery that I hadn't stood up straight for years!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    That's interesting pinkytoe. I've been reading about stomach/abdominal massage. I guess I never thought about it's usefulness......but it is.
    I stumbled onto something called graston technique recently - it involves manipulating and breaking up scar and connective tissue. I hadn't heard of it before, but a large number of chiropractors in my area appear to do it.

Thread Information