Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beads and beading

Beads and beading

I love beads and have been collecting them for years. Most are 'find's from yard sales. I don't find really good beads very often, but over they years I've found some really nice ones - venetian glass, lapis, amethyst, adventurine, milleflores, shell, silver, turquoise, etc.

I used to make necklaces, but rarely wore them. Then a couple years ago I discovered that stretchy stuff for making simple bracelets and have been making and wearing them daily ever since.

Here's a photo of a few of my favorites. Of course Miss Priss was there to help.

Anyone else do any beading work?

I love simple stretch bracelets--and those are great!--but not as much as I love Siamesey-type cats. I miss mine.

I've been collecting glass beads for years to make earrings and bracelets for sale. Haven't really done that yet but I do like to wear some of them. Picture is priceless! Isn't that just like a cat!

I use to make glass beads over a torch 15-18 years ago. I quit to devote more time to my husband's hot glass business which was really busy. I wouldn't return to making beads now as a business because there are so many beadmakers now but it is still fun to get out the torch and make a few for myself every now and then. I actually have very little jewelry from what I made - it all sold. Wish I'd kept a few more pieces than I did or at least took more photos.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I used to work/manage a bead store for nine years. I don't make very much stuff now because I burned out on it but every once in a while I'll pull stuff out and fondle it, trying to get ideas. I do like quicky things to make; this morning I realized I need to make some sort of red coral dangle for a pendant to go with some earrings I am wearing today...
    Beware, it's really easy to not be frugal when buying jewelry-making supplies. I was often incredulous with amount of money some of our customers spent at the store; but they kept my job going for a good long time!

Wonderful photo! My DD is starting an interest in jewelry making. She really loves creating new pieces (and I love wearing them). It seems like a fun hobby, and she did sell some pieces at our neighborhood craft sale...she made just enough money to buy more supplies.
    Last edited by Bootsie; 2-18-11 at 11:58am. Reason: fixed typo

Beads are a wonderful medium, being endlessly recyclable. I have lots of stretchy pearl bracelets I plan to deconstruct and reconfigure by adding natural stones and glass beads. Maybe I'll even make a polymer focal bead or two for them.

I really like the two in the lower right. The green and the blue. Beautiful!

I have been learning how to make beaded bezels to encase beautiful pieces of beach glass that I have been collecting for years. I hang the finished pendants on a beaded rope done with peyote stitch. I love the beading and spent most of this afternoon working on an unusual piece of pale green sea glass. If only I didn't get so hunched over when I bead!

I love beads! I love the way they look, the way they feel, their colors, shapes and sizes! Can't afford as many as I used to, and don't really have the time to do much beading. This is the only one of my hobbies that dd enjoys, also. Tweety, would love to see some pics of your beach glass pieces. Not near a beach, so I can't do that, but do love to look.

Thread Information