Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Le Crueset tagine

Bought a Le Crueset tagine

off our local Facebook Swap and Shop. Just made a beautiful vegetarian chickpea tagine with apricots and raisins and it was super. Now that I know how it works I will use it regularly. I now want to figure out even better spice combinations.

I use very little oil in this thing and all the veg are steamed so the nutrition stays in.

I know what a tangine - the food - is, but what's a tangine pot? Is it different from a dutch oven?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Kally, too cool! I am saving amazon gift card codes for things I do online - I'm saving up for a tagine myself, probably by Le Creuset like yours. So looking forward to being in Morocco later this year and so looking forward to cooking tagines myself! Glad to hear your vegetarian tagine went well! Please post when you make other tagines as to how they turned out, ok? Happy tagining! Rob

I've been tempted by the Emile Henry ceramic one for years, but I can never convince myself that it's for anything more than the cool looks, or that it would in reality perform any better than any of my large heavy lidded pots.

Does the special lid make a noticeable difference to you now that you've played with it Kally?

(Please tell me no and save me from kitchen clutter!)

http://www.lecreuset.com/moroccan-tagine

I do think the shape makes a difference. This thing is really well sealed and all the liquids drip back into the dish.

Cooks Illustrated says that a Dutch oven with a heavy, tight-fitting lid can readily be substituted.
    http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equi...ws/966-tagines
    Kally, can you post the recipe?

I've used tagine pots for over 30 years, admittedly, not so often now as years ago, but the specific pot seems to heep the meat much moister when cooked. I think it's because the conical lid allows all the moisture to return to the dish from a small centre point rather than from a full, tight fitting lid.

Update: - I wanted an Instant Pot for over $100 so I sold the tagine for $5 more than I paid for it. I enjoyed using it, but I just wanted something else more. Now the Instant Pot is right up there with my Vitamix for fabulous tools.

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    Update: - I wanted an Instant Pot for over $100 so I sold the tagine for $5 more than I paid for it. I enjoyed using it, but I just wanted something else more. Now the Instant Pot is right up there with my Vitamix for fabulous tools.
    Ha! My Instant Pot fights with my Vitamix for minimal counter space.

Thread Information