Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory voting?

or do what they used to do and the majority winner is president and the runner up is vice.

Voting is mandatory in Australia for all those who are eligible. There is a fine for not voting without a legitimate reason, I think it's AuD 20.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Voting is mandatory in Australia for all those who are eligible. There is a fine for not voting without a legitimate reason, I think it's AuD 20.
    I heard someone on NPR a few days ago who said that in Australian elections, the person or issue at the top of the ballot usually wins. It seems that coerced voters have a tendency to pick the first option.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

How interesting. I have never heard that before.

There is always some tendency to pick people toward the top, it's why they shuffle who gets placed where (ok maybe this is state policy, not sure, but they do here). It's pretty much basic marketing/psychology (the same thinking probably influences menu design - although it may be more complex than just the 1st item placement, but placement matters). But the "gain" for 1st on the ticket placement may be greater there, I don't know.

If the top person really won and placement at the top was truly determined randomly (yes I know talk about a system waiting to be corrupted - but no more than voting machines right?) would it mean 3rd parties sometimes got in? That might be an improvement. Or does placement near the top really just mean major party placed near the top. I find it near impossible to believe that would trump party voting in the U.S., although it might influence primary voting.
    Trees don't grow on money

It's kind of irrelevant if someone else is controlling who goes on the ballot.

It's like polls where people are asked difficult questions and get to choose only from the answers the pollers have already chosen for them.

Mandatory voting is consistent with the Left's general belief in the virtue of coercive government. Health insurance is good, so impose a fine on those who don't buy it. I'm starting to read more arguments that private education should be outlawed because it takes resources away from public education. Soon we'll need to build a wall around Utopia to keep the inmates from escaping.

Free will is nearly impossible to control, it should be abolished.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I could be forced into a voting booth to avoid paying a penalty but I cannot be forced to vote. I can turn in an empty ballot or pull the lever with no candidate chosen or vote for only dog catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Mandatory voting is consistent with the Left's general belief in the virtue of coercive government. Health insurance is good, so impose a fine on those who don't buy it. I'm starting to read more arguments that private education should be outlawed because it takes resources away from public education. Soon we'll need to build a wall around Utopia to keep the inmates from escaping.
    Oh baloney! Typical right wing answer. You don't actually have anything to add to the discussion so you start making sh*t up. Democrats don't want to 'force' voting any more than anyone else. They just want everyone to participate, left AND RIGHT. that's the difference between the parties. We want everyone to let their voice be heard. And, Obama didn't say he wants mandatory voting. He just was talking about voting and brought up the Australian version. (sorry bae, I know you didn't want to go there but I just had to answer to this ridiculous assertion by someone else)

I certainly don't believe in mandatory voting, but I kind of like the Oregon way. (I think it's Oregon) Automatic registration. I think that's brilliant. You still don't have to vote if you don't want to, and apparently many don't want to, but Oregon has the best methods and the best turnout.
    Lots of people don't vote, but they are affected by what the government (the government is us and we are the government) does. I do believe it is our duty to vote, but again I don't think folks should be forced. Rather I think automatic registration is cool and then it is up to the parties to educate the people on the value of voting and letting their voices be heard.
    Whatever my party affiliation, I completely agree each voice should be heard so there is a true representation of the will of the people...all the people, in government.

Thread Information