Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza Place Closes On Account Of Harrassment....

Pizza Place Closes On Account Of Harrassment....

Okay--I'll be brief. This made the news--there is a Pizza place called "Memories Pizza" in Walkerton, Indiana. Okay, this Lady--kind of a young girl--that works there--she told some reporter that with this new Indiana law, that they probably wquld go ahead and fill orders for just anyone who came in, but that they would probably turn down a request to cater a gay wedding reception, on account of their Christian beliefs. This caused much pro vs con chatter in the comments section in online versions of this "news". Okay--then, another news flash: It says the Memories Pizza has temporarily ceased operations(closed), due to the high volume of negative calls to their business, including threats. Isn't that something? Really, what it is to me is a big nothing (0), designed to take our minds off of important things that we really should be concerned about. Pizza, should be the least of our worries, but as I've said time and again on this forum---Pizza is Very, Very, Very important, to some people. It's like: without Pizza, we run the risk of Malnutrition--even to the point of STARVING to death! See? Now, you can discuss this amongst yourselves.

Calling a business with threats is definitely out of line.
    But I did think it was funny when a guy on the radio said, "How will they know who is gay and who isn't - are we going to have ID cards now? What if I just walked in and asked for catering and didn't specify what event it was for?"

Threats are not cool. And unnecessary. Bad reviews, negative facebook comments, whatever, are plenty to deal with this. And really, who serves pizza at their wedding?

It is so sad in Indiana that a few bigots are overshadowing the good people of the state, especially the top one.

the gay agenda steamrolls forward.

I think restaurants should prominently display signs in their windows to indicate which potential customers they approve, and which they disdain, and let the chips fall where they may. Kind of like the "Irish need not apply," or "whites only" of days gone by.

Gay agenda? Well I guess basic human rights can be considered an "agenda" by some.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Gay agenda? Well I guess basic human rights can be considered an "agenda" by some.
    You know I've always been interested in the concept of "rights". As I currently understand them, I'd say that a previous era's Jim Crow laws, which criminalized the provision of services to certain minorities, were a definite violation of human rights. I'm not sure though that anyone has a right to a specific service from a specific person or business, especially if the forced provision of that service violated the providers conscience.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Well, not to be snarky or anything(noooooooo), but to achieve absolute parity, they should REQUIRE restaurants that serve "ethnic" food to offer alternatives, so as not to exhibit a bias on account of race or ethnic background.. For instance, a "Mexican Food" place should be required to also serve spaghetti and fried chicken, so as not to offend people of Italian and um, well anyone who--on account of their ethnicity, consumes a lot of fried chicken. Also, it raises the question of religious discrimination. A pizza parlor should be prepared to serve a Kosher Menu, in case they are obliged to cater at a Bar Mitzvah or something; and likewise, they need to have a vegetarian menu, in case it's a Seventh Day Adventist Wedding. They'll just have to be able to accommodate everyone, since you won't be allowed to turn them down. See?

Agreed that rights can be subjective and are completely dependent on the society one lives in. But I don't think wanting to be treated fairly and equally within your society is some vile agenda.

Well, if making pizza 'violates' their conscience, then perhaps they shouldn't be IN the pizza making business. KWIM?
    And, last i checked, a pizza ins't a sacrament, so they really aren't being asked to 'celebrating' a wedding/funeral/whatever by baking a cheese pizza.

Thread Information