Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And it changes again

And it changes again

Technology is moving faster than the market can keep up with - I expect many people may move to these never having bought an led lightbulb:

http://www.sciencealert.com/super-ef...kets-this-year

A lightbulb made from wonder-material graphene will reportedly go on sale later this year, and it's promising to be brighter, cheaper, longer-lasting and use 10 percent less energy than even the best LEDs.

Wow, that's interesting ... thanks for posting! As a neo-Luddite, I'm "suspicious" of technology, but still ...

OMG I just changed all my most used lights to LED......I am hoping they will last longer then the last wonder bulbs...

Wow how cool! You know, with every cut to our energy usage, rooftop solar for everyone gets closer and closer.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    Wow how cool! You know, with every cut to our energy usage, rooftop solar for everyone gets closer and closer.
    As wonderful as widely distributed generation would be I hope we make advances in solar at an even faster rate than we do with light bulbs. The current models stink, environmentally speaking.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

They are getting better though. We didn't go straight from the horseback to a rocket. The more people invest in it the faster and better it will be. That's the way it always has been with technology.
    I think one of the really neat things about solar is, it's still a tinkerers technology. Average folks with modest budgets can fiddle in their garages and come up with really cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by peggy View Post
    I think one of the really neat things about solar is, it's still a tinkerers technology.
    Except for the need for a wafer fab facility or some other similar high-capital production facility, and the HAZMAT issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Except for the need for a wafer fab facility or some other similar high-capital production facility, and the HAZMAT issues.
    Pesky details.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Oh I forgot. You all do EVERYTHING yourself. so, I guess I'm out of business in my garage since I don't have the funds to build road and highways, or a power plant to make electricity for my garage where I'm trying to create, you know, a little electricity. I don't have an oil refinery either, or oil well for that matter, to produce the plastic parts I will need. Well, I'd have to build that garage first I guess, so a lumber mill and a steel mill are certainly out of reach. Thank god bae invented the internet so I don't have to reinvent THAT! But still, it's not looking good.

Whew! Thank goodness you all pointed out the futility of creativity before I wasted my time...

In what sense is solar a "tinkerer's technology"? You buy the various component parts made elsewhere by hugely expensive and polluting infrastructure, plug it together in your garage, and pat yourself on the back for being a cool hipster energy innovator?

I said nothing about creativity being bad...

Thread Information