Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to Dress

I spent the entire winter in thick stretchy black pants - sort of like leggings but heavier - tucked into a pair of big fat shearling boots, with tops of varying dressiness. On super dressy occasions I'd switch the clodhopper boots for a pair of high heeled black leather ones. After seeing Elaine Stricht in black pants and a white top apparently every day of her life, I didn't feel so bad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    I do need to wear a cameo with their tops.
    Hm. I wouldn't think a cameo would provide enough modesty.

Danged autocorrect...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My daily "uniform" in the winter is black yoga pants. I have a great style from Old Navy, they're not super-tight and spandex-y. In fact, it's hard to tell them from black slacks. I LOVE them because they're as comfortable as pajamas and they go with everything. I have about 5-6 pair.

I've shifted over the past several years--ever since my middle "shifted" to points south--to wearing casual dresses in the summer rather than pants, like jersey knit dresses, simple shifts etc. Dresses tend to be FAR more comfortable than anything with a waistband and they look nice.

My shoes in the winter are ballet flats--again, simple--go with everything--look nice. My shoes in the summer are the same flats or flip-flops.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I really like these pants from Soft Surroundings and I would buy them even for the rather high price, if I needed pants, which I really don't :
    https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Palmilla_Pant/
    Those are cool pants! Pretty expensive, but better than buying lots of clothes that I don't wear or that wear out.

I wore the SAME pair o' jeans for 3 consecutive days, okay? They are dirty, because I been doing what is a Zurra Tradition: waging a holy war on encroaching vegetation. See? Anyway, I was gonna go to the wreckin' yard, so I figured: I will wear em again. They were a new pair, I guess, and I had worn 'em to the gas station & other places, and this morning, I noticed they still had the yellow size sticker, stuck on the outside back of one leg. Why does a sticker like that hold on, when something you WANT to stick, falls off right away. It's annoying.

That is annoying Packy. But if that's the worst thing that happened to you all week, then you had a pretty good week.

Hey, I found some pants I really like! And at Goodwill. They had two pairs of what looked like brand-new cargo pants with stretchy waists, and they fit perfectly. They are by Chico's, a brand I've never worn before. The sizing is weird (00? Really?) but if they fit, who cares?
    Even better, I checked on Ebay and there are hundreds of Chico's things for sale at great prices. I like the look of their tops and jackets, too.

I'm delighted! Comfortable, grown-up, cute, practical clothes!

Anyone else wear Chico's?

Great score, Gardenarian! I'm familiar with the brand but have never owned anything; will have to keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I really like these pants from Soft Surroundings and I would buy them even for the rather high price, if I needed pants, which I really don't :
    https://www.softsurroundings.com/P/Palmilla_Pant/
    they have a store in colorado! about 45 minutes from me.

TxZen
    As I mentioned in my "why is 40 so weird" thread, I am changing my style but it's really just embracing who I am. I always liked companies like LL Bean, Lands End, J Crew (Not the trendy stuff but their basics), Sperry, Gap, St. James, Barbour, Woolrich, GH Bass, Southern Tide, Ralph Lauren, Vineyard vines..Basically if it's preppy nautical, I am in. These are the brands I grew up with. I am learning to buy one great piece and get my money's worth than by the disposable stuff I normally do.

I do wear pink but that is as girly as I get. I don't do Lilly Pulitzer or the more popular Tory Burch. I am sticking with red, blue, white, some pink, with all leather accessories, so nothing with like a leather bag with a print, just something more solid. I am REALLY liking what I am coming up with.

I am also noting I do like skirts that much. I do have 2 and they are plain, simple, hit just below my knees and are all cotton/denim. Patterns are very understated in my clothing, if any at all. I just bought shorts and there is a paisley pattern but it's neutral, so you can tell unless you are right up on them. I have a textured fleeced, but it's understated.

Same goes for my jewelry, I know everyone likes those statement necklaces but they feel like they are choking me, so I wear simple, light necklaces. I own a diamond pair of studs, pearl studs and a basic small hoop. I have a pearl bracelet (in a nautical knot), 2 watches (One is simple Timex with leather band, the other is all black metal), and necklaces are my son's initial, a small anchor, and an infinity loop. I have my wedding bands and I wear no other rings. I will be adding a double string of pearls I found that are lovely and light and can be worn shortened up in several layers or just a long/over short or just one long strand. Not heavy at all.

Shoes- I own 1 pair of neutral kitten heels. I added today a pair of Sperry boat shoes, in plain brown/camel leather, 2 pairs of ballet flats, neutral and black.

I still have a few more things to find but I basically emptied out my closet and am starting over.

Thread Information