Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: living alone

living alone

somewhat in regards to Siouxq's post about roommate. I think I would have a very hard time living alone. On the other hand people get on my nerves easily. I'm lean more towards introversion but like to know people are around. I want to be someone that gets along with easily with people so I'm conflicted about the fact that people get on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by margene View Post
    somewhat in regards to Siouxq's post about roommate. I think I would have a very hard time living alone. On the other hand people get on my nerves easily. I'm lean more towards introversion but like to know people are around. I want to be someone that gets along with easily with people so I'm conflicted about the fact that people get on my nerves.
    Here's the thing: we are talking about, on another thread, our "authentic selves."

if you don't like living with people, honor you authentic self. Don't try to be someone you are not, you'll be one of those old people who regret their lives at the end.

now, I realize that it's seldom that easy to be one thing or another. We are all a mix of both. So,you may like to have someone around your house sometimes, and other times--not. Welcome to my world, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by margene View Post
    Yep, there's no perfect solution. It can be quite lonely living alone. For me it seems to work best living with people who have a similar lifestyle, are generally relaxed, but aren't home all the time, or have a different work schedule than myself - either relationship or roommate. I like some company but lots of alone time as well.

When I was not in a relationship I definitely did not want a roommate. Living with someone when you are in love is one thing-otherwise I think it would be hell.

It's certainly my idea of hell. I've lived alone all my adult life. I would prefer that my friends live nearby, but that's it. I'll have plenty of company at the Shady Acres Old Ladies' Home when the time comes. I suggest living in an apartment or condo complex where you have people nearby, but not too near.

TxZen
    As much as I love my hubby and son, I lived alone until I was almost 30. I loved it!! I lived very small and only used my apartment as a place to eat, shower, store a few things and sleep. I rarely entertained because I need my personal space. I love to go out and visit but I liked coming home to my space. I am still the same way. We rarely have people over. I don't like the pressure and then when the clock starts hitting a certain time, I want them to go. Sorry...it's my truth.

If someone wants to come over, I am very vocal about how much time, say 10-12 for a light lunch/coffee. And I reiterate I have to be somewhere at 1. Just how I am. I don't mind being alone as long as I can get out.

I am very social & love to have people over. HOwever, that is really different then living with someone. I had never lived alone until I divorced my hubby when the kids were grown up. Then I lived alone for the first time. A friend suggested that since there were 4 of us that were single we should rent a big house together. I owned a small 2 bedroom condo at the time & said no, no & No!! Then a year later I met my current hubby.

I tend to make friends with my neighbors, and think I would be fine living alone, though I'd want a dog.

I had roomates and hated it. I lived alone for several years before getting married, and it was much better than having roomies.

I've always had my own bedroom since we married. Sharing a room with my sister for many years was enough for me!

I'm pretty social, and I love my family. Overall, I'm glad I'm not alone, but because I have a handicapped child who needs care 24/7, I am literally NEVER alone. That gets old really fast. To compensate, I either get up very, very early or stay up really late in order to have some time with my own thoughts. But I would so love an entire day to myself every couple weeks.

YOu should see if there is respite care in your area. Many places have it & sometimes the charge is on a sliding scale with your income. I know your situation must be really tough.

Thread Information