Thread: clothes shopping torture day

clothes shopping torture day

We are three weeks out from DD's wedding and I STILL didn't have an "outfit" for this auspicious occasion. Hence, I knew I had to venture out to the stores as online hasn't worked out. Drove to a part of town I avoid if I can crammed with shopping choices. Just the thought of stepping into a department store makes me anxious, but I toughed it out. So many choices...so expensive. Massive crowded parking lots. Nothing I really liked. I came away with an OK choice but I paid way too much and I don't really love it. Now for shoes, jewelry, coverup...I hope I survive this shopping nonsense.

Yes that's why I don't get anyone who has lots of clothes and enough clothes to give away. Sometimes I'm lucky if I have enough clothes to get me through a week. Now I can understand trashing old clothes with a bunch of holes that you kept holding on to irrationally hoping they would rise from the dead or something, that I understand. And I understand ones size may change a bit over time, and getting rid of stuff that doesn't fit. But having too many clothes that fit in decent condition, I don't think I'll ever have that problem. And yea it's because I avoid buying them, I hate shopping for clothes. But not being a nudist I need to force myself to do it sometimes (ugh it's yucky but it needs to be done, it's better than doing the taxes ... yes it is ... it's probably better than a dental visit ... yes it is).
    Trees don't grow on money

oh dear i feel for you. i started sewing and it is relaxing to spend a weekend on an outfit rather than going into a store. even grocery shopping at the wrong time of day is really hard. clothing can be it's own special torture with color and fit and what is in style vs what you want. i am fortunate to have a split schedule most days so i avoid the worst of it when i need to shop. i would recommend taking daytime off work to try and shop for the rest of what you need. it doesn't solve all the problems but it makes it much easier.

as a comparison i kinda love my dental visits, bra and bathing suit shopping is way worse

Ick OP, I feel for ya.

Shopping for weddings clothes if you aren't the bride isn,t much fun.

Have you checked out Kohl's website? Their Chaps line has some really nice dresses. I just bought one for a wedding (the "splatter pleated sheath dress") and it's made well and fits great. Also tried on a few others that were suitable for a wedding and they were all great. They have good sales all the time and I think you can return it to the store if you're not happy with it.

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens-...462+4294719810

The Kohls dress would be great if it were long since we have been asked to wear maxi dresses. Trying to find something long that is not formal and not too casual for a petite older lady like myself is challenging. Color combinations this season are kind of bizarre at least to me. Purple, orange, grey...with weird patterns.

exactly where I was at this time last year........finally went to David's Bridal in Chattanooga. Tried on 3 dresses and left with the one that fit best and did not clash with her colors.........will never wear it again.

I finally did what my wealthy friend does - I ordered three choices of everything including shoes online and will send back what doesn't work. I am rarely able to find what I like in a physical store and online selections are better.

I'm one of those with an embarrassment of wardrobe riches. I'd go thrifting and buy basic items every time I went. Before I knew it, I had enough to open a resale shop. I'm paring down, but I still have way more than I'd ever use. Back to the thrift stream it is.

When my DD was getting married we shopped for my dress together. I wanted to buy a mother of the bride dress that she was happy with and coordinated with her wedding colors. It turned out to be a lovely day together and I'll always cherish the memory.... We had a light lunch out first and then shopped at stores that specifically carried mother of the bride dresses. We found a beautiful dress at Dilliards that fit me perfectly and was the right color. DD was very happy with it which was very important to me, as after all her wedding was her big day and I wanted everything to be just right for her. Being very budget minded too we lucked out in getting both my dress and shoes half price, and her bridal dress was half price too the very next weekend at a local bridal shop. Great sales at the end of the summer, with her wedding being the following spring.

Thread Information