Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating anonymously?

Donating anonymously?

I have quit donating to environmental organizations because they start sending me constant mailings and requests for more money. The resources they use up just to send me these mailings probably costs more than any donation I have made to them. How would I donate anonymously?
    Thanks.

I don't know for sure, possibly some prepaid credit card that is anonymous, not sure how else. I hear you though I won't donate either. When I go visit a nature preserve I've stuffed a bunch of 20s in the donation box so that's how I donate anonymously! (seem to real deal as well, buying up land, advocating for national park etc. status for the land they've bought etc.). But otherwise donate to a charity and get on a mailing list, ugh no.....
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm so done too. My husband has a luggage fetish (well, that's what I call it) and all those mailings with donations for a free gift of a messenger bag or backpack, etc. agh!!!!!
    I try to get to the mailbox first and destroy in tiny pieces any of those mailings.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

When I'm in your situation, I sometimes return a request for donations with the note "I can no longer donate to your organization because I see all my donations are being used to send me more requests for donations". I stopped donating to the organizations that pummel me with donation requests.

I direct many of my donations through our local community foundation, to give me a cut-out.

I notice a few years ago many Paypal clients were really pushing for a way to donate anonymously; apparently nothing ever came of that. A pity.

I'm a big fan of organizations that recognize this and provide an opt out of paper mailings. However, I'm equally annoyed by organizations that send a bazillion emails. At work the other day I finally opted out of a professional organization's emails when I literally had 5 emails in a row in my inbox, all from them. I like to travel (or more accurately I hate to travel but enjoy being other places) but really, I'm not going to go to this organization's receptions in Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Seattle all in one week.

I primarily donate though my employer's program, which matches us 50% with no upward limit, and we have a choice whether or not to make our info known to the recipient organizations. These are all people-focused charities. Outside of that, I give to a couple of small local organizations that don't have the resources to send me a bunch of mail (Melrose Humane Society and Friends of Lynn Woods).

You can always go to the bank and get a cashier's check, which will not have your name on it. Then send the check to the charity.

I give to several animal charities (Seattle Humane, Portland Humane, Fences for Fido), and I enjoy getting periodic progress reports. As long as their mailings include pictures of sweet rescues and or heart-tugging stories, they can keep 'em coming. The rest of the entities I donate to, not so much. And don't get me started on the ones that call...

Thread Information