Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weeds along the fence. Also lawn fertizing suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    The weeds along the fence line don't bother me. They do bother DH. And that is the issue. lol
    He'll literally have a "blast" burning weeds/fence line with the propane burner. You might try and find a copy of Jerry Baker's "Green Grass Magic" (library or inter-library loan). He suggests wearing golf shoes to aerate your yard. You could also get information from the County Extension Horticulture Agent in your area, it's free, or from one of the Master Gardeners if the Extension Office has a Master Gardener Program.

I think it was Jerry Baker that mentioned vinegar and dish detergent as a weed killer. I have some vinegar used from a derusting project (cleaning up a pedal assembly for an antique VW), that I will be using on spots in the sidewalk. Been debating about getting some standing grass shears that are on wheels for the occasional edging.
    Along fence lines, especially for people with dogs, I have seen railroad ties or concrete underneath for both weed and digging issues. Other times I have seen gravel, mulch, etc with preen or something along that line in it.
    Natural fertilizer, well do you have a mulch pile? I know both goat (used it) and rabbit fertilizer works well. The neighbor used rabbit when he sodded his back yard, and that stuff grows quicker then the goat IMHE. (smells worse too) Compost in bags, my dad will mix with sand to help aerate the area's he reseeds (when he mixes up or doesn't get sprays washed out).

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Applying a propane torch to the fence line several times a year will do the trick.
    That's kind of scary to think about. We've had 2 trips to the ER for back yard DIY LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lessisbest View Post
    He'll literally have a "blast" burning weeds/fence line with the propane burner. You might try and find a copy of Jerry Baker's "Green Grass Magic" (library or inter-library loan). He suggests wearing golf shoes to aerate your yard. You could also get information from the County Extension Horticulture Agent in your area, it's free, or from one of the Master Gardeners if the Extension Office has a Master Gardener Program.
    I have heard of wearing golf shoes to aerate. Maybe I can pick some up at Goodwill sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What would happen if you don't fertilze the lawn? Re-seeding very year in thin spots, making sure your lawn has good exposure to sun, and mowing it high (as you mention) are all good practices for a grass lawn. I'm not sure that fertilizer is really necessary. But then, DH takes care of our lawns, so I don't know all that he does to them other than a re-seeding once a year.
    Yeah I am probably not going to get around to fertilizing this spring. We'll see about the fall. I used what grass seed we already had on hand and seeded some of the bare spots Sunday. It rained a bit Sunday night and on and off all day today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    salt is a chemical. any salt you are adding to deter weeds slowly builds up in the soil so that only very salt tolerant plants can grow there - which will probably mean your lawn becomes edged with bare dirt or "weeds".

boiling water is great - I use my canning water, water from hardboiling eggs, and sometimes spaghetti water to take care of weeds in and around my driveway and paths. basically you are cooking the weed in place. rock is also good for fence lines.

We don't ever "fertilize" officially, but we do have goats, alpacas and free range chickens, so fertilizer happens.

goats love dandelions, so we only have them in the meadow and in "fancy" areas where the goats aren't allowed. I find this funny. dandelions have deep roots and will aerate your soil and bring up nutrients.

Do you water? I've ben told thatch can be caused by frequent watering.

Lessisbest - I'm not so sure about grass loving compost and weeds not - the weeds are always happy to create a beautiful thick green cover over my finished compost heap - I just pull them and toss them in the next batch as I use the compost - they keep it from washing out in heavy rain.
    We don't water the lawn hardly ever. I seem to remember my grandmother using boiling water for some weeds in her sidewalk. I've thought about it but I am kind of a klutz. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    We don't water the lawn hardly ever. I seem to remember my grandmother using boiling water for some weeds in her sidewalk. I've thought about it but I am kind of a klutz. lol
    When I wrenched, we had a plug in percolator that we used to heat up water for things like batteries. When it died, we used the coffee pot if it was empty (ran through without filter).

put vinegar in your garden sprayer along with a couple of tablespoons of dishwashing liquid. Spray before lunch on a sunny day. You will be amazed how many weeds die as a result.

Thread Information