Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how many hours, moving and purging

Ah, Chicken Lady, yes, you "should have space"-- except that your house is currently a construction zone Do all of you a favor and have him put his furniture in storage for the summer.

In fact, gosh, is there anything else you'd like to add to the storage, just to give you some elbow room for a bit?

He brought his first load home today. He has everything well boxed to stack and the furniture broken down. He says he thinks he can have the drywall finished in his room in a week and then we can paint and he can move his stuff into it. I can live with boxes everywhere for a couple of weeks. He's pretty motivated.

Ah, as long as he is the one motivated to get things finished. I was channeling myself at his age, and how I just assumed my folks would accomodate whatever I brought home.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

nope, this one works. He wants his list every week and If I don't have enough to keep him busy, he picks up day labor at his construction job - they'll take him any day he shows up by 6. School is hard for him because there is so much being still. We wre talking about a double feature last night and he said "I couldn't sit through two movies." and his girlfriend said "You can't sit through one movie!"

One time his sister came for dinner and mentioned a problem she was having with her car. When we finished eating, he picked up his plate and announced "gonna go fix the car." and was gone.

Zoe Girl, how is the moving going?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

Zoe Girl, how is the moving going?
    OM(F)G

well if you saw me in person you would see a smiling person who has apparently made peace with the messiness and never ending nature of this move. And then there is the underlying part where i am calm but there is just a huge list and i don't know what to do with some things still. i don't have internet yet and since life does not stop i am at starbucks taking advantage of free wifi to respond here and take care of some urgent email business.

the bunk beds, after i worked through being okay with getting rid of them i can't seem to actually get rid of them. i missed 3 weekends of potential yard sales due to weather, i don't think the parts will fit in my vehicle to take to my storage unit, my mom has a lot of pain from a nerve so she did not come after all, and i am at the point where i think i need to put everything on the side of the driveway and schedule junk haulers for next week. then i get nervous that the landlord (i am checking out with her tomorrow at 9 am ) will give me grief but i need my deposit returned in order to pay for anything else like junk haulers. my mom would mostly help me keep myself focused and figure out little things like if i should rent a haul pickup or get junk haulers or go to storage. i know i have this raise at the end of this month, and i am still nervous because this is so amazingly expensive right now.

My son apparently moved the snakes last night, that was 4 tanks and a table (his sister is getting them). the thing about teenage help is that he gets some friends to help with something and then they all need hang out time as well, then there are tasks you will give them and sometimes you find out that they really didn't know how to do it. his girlfriend is very sweet but almost spent a night in my almost empty house so the cats would not be alone. they are cats, they can spend a night alone! good kids really, but not like moving with an adult. he had some old speakers he was supposed to take care of and there is still a LOT of stuff in the house in my opinion. this morning i looked in my son's room at 4:30 am and he was still in his clothes an backwards with his head on his computer. He has insomnia and anxiety, they actually just took him off the schedule at work (with the move it takes a complicated bus route to get to work). that means about a month without working right after prom. He wants a new job and my parents are bringing us a used car the beginning of june. Minimum i need him or strong kids to carry the bunk bed out of the basement.

so i am really leaning towards the junk haulers. the bunk beds are great but also 20 years old. i guess i can give the landlord a heads up because they can't come until after i move out, but last time they did it all over the phone with pick up and payment so hopefully she will be okay with that. Sometimes she is reasonable and other times a pain. i will check back tomorrow or monday, wish me luck

can you put the beds by the driveway with a "free" sign? where i live they would be gone by lunch. That's how people get rid of all kinds of things around here. When we remodelled our bathroom somebody took the old vanity and sink and even the toilet.

Wow, it took a few days to get back. I can read this forum on my phone but not reply (and I am at 90% data usage and I have until the 28th, so I am not using my phone right now).

I expected the mower to come do the yard on Saturday so I tried to put the bunk beds where people could see but they really couldn't. Then the mower called and couldn't come that day but I wasn't home to move them again. On Sunday I checked out, I paid the mower who is also the landlords husband to both clean up the yard and haul off everything. I now need to transfer some money because this has been so expensive. The landlord said it was super clean, and then didn't check a lot of what I cleaned. Even said that she does not worry about carpets, That was an extra hour of work. Done with the moving out, almost done with the double expenses (and no more yard work, I admit I was horrible about it and really I should have spent a couple hours a week on all of it). Now to be more settled but already I feel so much better.

There was something energetically about that place, very hippy dippy of me. But we moved in based on a foreclosure, my kids went through hell, I was terribly depressed for a long time. Now I have cleared out a lot of things, I saw myself as not very good at cleaning and I got feedback that I left it super clean. I saw myself as incapable and I now see myself as more than capable.

Zoe Girl, It sounds like you are getting a great new start! If you don't like yard work, that will be a huge load off!

now you can focus on nesting in your new space.

I'm glad that you feel a sense of accomplishment after all of your hard work. Good luck on your new beginning in your new home!

Since moving into a condo 10 years ago, we have moved a few times but never returned to a place with yard work. It makes a huge difference in the amount of free time on days off from work. Almost like a vacation compared to how it was when we owned homes with outdoor work involved.

Thread Information