Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about new suit and getting wrinkles out.

Question about new suit and getting wrinkles out.

Wasn't sure where to put this.
    DS had to buy a suit for a wedding. The groom wanted everyone to look alike. I know that's common, but it's a total waste of money.
    DS plans on wearing it for the wedding ceremony only, then returning it. I told him that wasn't right......but......it's his life.
    Anyhow....it came today and is wrinkled. Plus, the 98% cotton shirt is very wrinkled. The suit says "dry clean only". Do dry cleaning places press things without dry-cleaning them?
    I don't want to mess with it, as I might ruin it. I could do the shirt, but I don't want to mess with that either, since my iron is old and I'd hate to stain it somehow.
    I haven't gone to the cleaners in ages. Do you think they could remove wrinkles without dry-cleaning a "dry-clean only" suit?

Thanks.

Let him deal with it... If you don't feel right and you feel that this is his life, then let him clean up his own messes

Yes, dry cleaners will press only. I've taken one of my husbands suits that had been hanging in the closet and just asked that it be pressed. The dry cleaners simply hang the suit and steam press it.

Thanks goldensmom. So if I have a steamer, I could use that? I'm a little nervous about using water. Or could I use a dry iron with a thin cloth under it? (for the suit coat........it's mostly one arm that's wrinkled).

If it arrived wrinkled, tell the seller and see what they advise.

If it was wrinkled after wear, then it might be more problematic. In my opinion, it would be dishonest to return used clothes!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Thanks goldensmom. So if I have a steamer, I could use that? I'm a little nervous about using water. Or could I use a dry iron with a thin cloth under it? (for the suit coat........it's mostly one arm that's wrinkled).
    I have a clothes steamer but it is not strong enough to do a good job. A dry cleaner's professional steamer works good. An iron over a wet cloth would work on the pants but not the coat. I agree, returning clothing that has been worn is not right.

I know it's not right. I would NEVER do it myself. But DS (who is late 20's) has to learn this for himself. I have told him several times that it's unethical.....but he works soooooo hard and has very little money, and his friend wants him in his wedding. We'll probably end up paying for it.....or maybe they won't accept it back. Who knows. Mostly I wanted info about how to get the wrinkles out myself, without it costing any more money than it already did. Just doesn't seem right to ask people to be in your wedding and then ask them all to buy the same clothing. DD is going to be in a friend's wedding soon, and she's had to buy a dress and even have it altered to fit. And she doesn't have much money either.
    I've read that a steamer works. We do have a steamer, but I'm totally scared to even try that. The wedding is Saturday. I could totally ruin it.
    DS is supposed to take pictures for this guy too. I'll be really ticked if that's all DS does........is take pictures, but had to spend this money to look like all the groomsmen.

I know it's not right. I would NEVER do it myself. But DS (who is late 20's) has to learn this for himself. I have told him several times that it's unethical.....but he works soooooo hard and has very little money, and his friend wants him in his wedding. We'll probably end up paying for it.....or maybe they won't accept it back. Who knows. Mostly I wanted info about how to get the wrinkles out myself, without it costing any more money than it already did. Just doesn't seem right to ask people to be in your wedding and then ask them all to buy the same clothing. DD is going to be in a friend's wedding soon, and she's had to buy a dress and even have it altered to fit. And she doesn't have much money either.
    I've read that a steamer works. We do have a steamer, but I'm totally scared to even try that. The wedding is Saturday. I could totally ruin it.
    DS is supposed to take pictures for this guy too. I'll be really ticked if that's all DS does........is take pictures, but had to spend this money to look like all the groomsmen.
    I think it is fairly typical of US weddings for the wedding party to buy or rent matching clothes. Usually the guys rent tuxes; don't know why this groom went with buying a suit. But it is so common that I'm surprised that you are surprised about the matching clothing.

If someone can't afford to be in a wedding party--that includes the clothing, throwing a shower/stag night/ wedding present--they can always decline the honor.

As for the suit, you are trying to make a decision without all the facts. Call a couple of dry cleaners near you and find out how much pressing one suit and one shirt will cost.

What is the fiber content of the suit? That might make a difference in whether or not a steamer or an iron will do a good job. And for a wedding, the trousers should probably have sharp creases, which I'm not sure a steamer can do.

Well, I'm surprised that you're surprised that I'm surprised that.......... lol!
    Well, I'm not really surprised, just irritated. I'm not into traditional things like most people are.
    The suit coat is 67% polyester, 31% Rayon, and 2% spandex. We live pretty far from any cleaners, so that's why I'd like to work with it myself. But of course, I don't want to ruin it.

Just doesn't seem right to ask people to be in your wedding and then ask them all to buy the same clothing.
    I am very much a traditionalist and every wedding in which I have been an attendant I bought all my own clothing to match the others. For my own wedding, however, I bought my attendants dress and accessories, my mother's dress and paid for my father's and my side male members tux rentals. My husband paid for the men on his side. It just seemed like a nice thing to do.

My brother has no problem with buying an item of clothing, wearing for one occasion (actually tucked the price tag in the collar once) and returning it. He brags about it and does not even realize what he is teaching his children. As I said previously, I strongly disagree......and to think we were raised by the same parents!

Thread Information