Thread: Gina's

Gina's

I'm second gereration FI. At the time of my birth, both of my parents had just retired. They were not wealthy, but had worked very hard and had saved and invested what little they did take in. Neither had completed a high school education because of having to go to work young to help support their respective families of origin during hard times.

They were ahead of their time - they were financially independent before there were books. When I was a little kid, we lived 'low on the hog', but I did wonder why people went to work when it was obvious to me that was not necessary.

When my folks did retire, it was their dream to move around the country and live for a school year in each place to experience different areas. So for a number of years, we would come to a new state, my folks would rent a house, enroll us in school, then at the end of the year, pack everything in the back of the car and move on. When us kids got older and being stable in school became more important, we settled in California mainly because of the weather. Decades later, I'm still here.

It was an interesting childhood, and I didn't realize how unusual it was until much later. We did have freedom as a family, but there were downsides. My folks were very frugal and as a kid, I often felt deprived becuase of what all the other kids had and I didn't. The other kids got real barbies, I got the supermarket knock-off. The other kids got lots of 'stuff', I got very little. They got store-bought clothes, mom made many of mine (sewing was not her skill )...

This sounds ungrateful, but I was just a kid and that's what I felt for years. To this day I still prefer the feeling of abundance around me, and keep too much stuff. In fact, that is what brought me to SL - I did a search for downsizing possessions, and found this forum over a year ago. I'm still downsizing.

When we were kids however, my folks were already putting us on the path to having a good financial base. We didn't get the toys we might have wanted, but under the tree every year we each got 10 shares of stock. That meant less to me at the time, but today I still have some of those, split and re-split. Thanks mom and dad. I really do appreciate it!

While I might have felt deprived as a kid, there were many other things that now as a middle-aged adult I greatly appreciate far more than a silly 'real' barbie. I learned I could survive without the glitzy popular things. I learned how to be creative and frugal and save from masters. And that I could retire and live well on not much while relatively young myself - because my parents before me had already done so.

Today I own my own home, am debt free, and spend my time doing what I enjoy - I've travelled, do artsy things, enjoy the garden and cooking, play a sport, and whatever else hits my fancy - within financial reason of course. I drive cars for years, shop at thrift stores and yard sales, and try to be frugal - most of the time. It's a good life.

(Opps, I forgot to complete the thread title and can't edit it ... Oh well.)
    Last edited by Gina; 1-2-11 at 2:29pm.
    moo

What an interesting childhood, Gina! I had parents of a similar mindset, although my Dad did go to work every day at a job he hated, but managed to retire when I was 16. I went through a few years of "making up for my deprivation" but quickly reverted to being my Father's child and planning a way out. Glad to see you over here, thanks for this neat story, and thanks also for the tech assistance.

If you'd like to change your thread title, just hit the little triangle at the bottom of your post. (I know it says only for reporting bad things, but we're experimenting with using it to report any need for help or tweaking as well.)

Mrs-M
    Love your journal Gina!

Thanks, Ladies.
    I went through a few years of "making up for my deprivation" but quickly reverted to being my Father's child and planning a way out. Glad to see you over here, thanks for this neat story, and thanks also for the tech assistance.
    My father was a minimalist and had virtually no possessions besides clothes and papers. I think mom might have been a boarderline hoarder, but was too frugal to buy much. Fortunately moving often helped keep her collecting tendencies in check, at least for a few years. I may be more like mom in that respect - I keep whatever comes into my life. But I am now aware of it and downsizing. I'll never be a minimalist like Dad however.

I haven't felt deprived for years. I know I can get anything within reason that I want ...but would rather not spend the money. I prefer my freedom.

You're welcome re the (low)tech help. It's really been fun exporing the place and clicking on all the buttons to see what they do.
    If you'd like to change your thread title, just hit the little triangle at the bottom of your post. (I know it says only for reporting bad things, but we're experimenting with using it to report any need for help or tweaking as well.)
    Thanks, good to know. At the moment I think I'll leave it as it is, unless I think of something really clever.
    moo

Thread Information