Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Purge 2015 June Declutter 100 Items

Yes, my DH abhors an empty drawer, a spartan shelf, a clean closet with room to spare. Every square inch has to be filled.

he gets the entire double plus garage. In addition he has a shop in the basement, storage in the basement, and he stores crap in one of our spare houses. But I define clean areas of the house where he may not pile junk.

but you know what? I think about the worst case scenario and that calms me. In all likelihood I will die before he does and I won't have to worry about all of the crap. In case he dies before me, I'll simply open my house to neighbors and friends and say "come and get it" to get rid of stuff. Leftovers, I can just hire someone to haul away. If we move while both of us are still alive, I will pack the stuff I want fir the new place and get it there, leaving DH to sort his stuff. He is very productive and when faced with the inevitability of downsizing, he'd get it done in a week.

Having bouts of intertia as we prepare to move - it's hard to let go and I wish I knew why. However, yesterday a paper sack of books went to Half Price Books and yielded $20 which DH promoptly claimed to go towards a used BBQ pit - oh well. Trying to utilize the Kondo method of category decluttering and perhaps do one a week to make things easier. I am going through an inherited coin collection now and that will go next week to a coin shop for whatever it brings. I think I'll save the jar of old Peace silver dollars and call that my bag lady stash. What the heck do I do with lots of old buttons?

Pinkytoe: Lots of crafters do things with buttons, so you might have some luck with Craigslist.

An obvious thing occured to me - most of the things I'd like to purge weren't mine to start with. They belonged to other family members that left them to me or were purchased used or acquired from someone else, ie not new. Onward...

I've purged a bunch of stuff. About 25 books and a vintage manual typewriter (I loved it but it hurt my hands to use) went to the thrift store yesterday. A fully functional but 4 yo laptop went to a friend who has just started nursing school (she didn't have the funds for a laptop and her desktop is older). I'll be getting a new MacBook in a few months (doing just fine with my iPad for now). Two skirts went to another friend. I'm not baking anymore so I ditched a bunch of baking gear.

Previous subtotal: 80
    Another box of paper out yesterday = plus 10, for a new subtotal of 90.

Have to do 10 more today!

My mom came to visit so that means I have 2 boxes full to pass along
    74-76 cross stitch supplies
    77-81 brown glass jugs (to flea market)
    82-84 binders and planner supplies
    85-90 various trinkets
    91-92 wallets
    93 purse
    94-98 hardware bits and pieces
    99-100 belts

I didn't even let her boxes in my house, sorted right into the back of my car.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Good for you, Float On!!

One of our local dog rescues is having a "Christmas in July" sale, and is looking for more Christmas stuff to decorate the booths. So I pulled out my Christmas boxes, sorted through and removed 16 items!! I repacked everything into 3 boxes and even tucked in the couple of things I missed when I put Christmas away last year.

Grand total for June: 100 items, plus 6 for the 6th month of the year!!!

Thread Information